Help and advice needed from Sovereign GT users.

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi!

I have recently managed to get my hands on a Sovereign GT with 2 coils and a counter for the equivalent of $500 usd.
I have taken it out for the first test hunt and I found a few coins (not too deep).
I was quite impressed on how accurately I was able to locate the objects without even the pinpoint function that the detector has.
I am just wondering what the best or recommended settings are.

Is it normal for the detector to go crazy when the sensitivity is turned from auto to manual (high)?
I get a lot of false signals when I do that regardless whether I adjust the knob, only goes silent when the settings are turned way down.
Could this be happening because of a bad pot/switch?
When I tried to ground balance using all metal and track option, pulling the coil up and down had no effect on the threshold.

Also what is the normal range of detection for an air test?
I got around 20 - 22cm on a 25mm coin which seems quite shallow compared to my AT pro which gets around 30cm.

Is there something wrong with my unit or do I just have it set up wrong?

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi!

I have recently managed to get my hands on a Sovereign GT with 2 coils and a counter for the equivalent of $500 usd.
I have taken it out for the first test hunt and I found a few coins (not too deep).
I was quite impressed on how accurately I was able to locate the objects without even the pinpoint function that the detector has.
I am just wondering what the best or recommended settings are. You might read my eBook at the top of the forum.

Is it normal for the detector to go crazy when the sensitivity is turned from auto to manual (high)? Yes, the sensitivity usually cannot be run at the highest setting (just off the Auto click). Again, read the eBook.
I get a lot of false signals when I do that regardless whether I adjust the knob, only goes silent when the settings are turned way down. Normally you can adjust the sensitivity with the coil on a clean spot of ground, and holding still. Then turn the sensitivity as high as you can until it starts to false, then just back it off slightly until the falsing stops. You will then be at the maximum sens for that particular location. Usually somewhere between 11 and 2 o-clock.
Could this be happening because of a bad pot/switch?

When I tried to ground balance using all metal and track option, pulling the coil up and down had no effect on the threshold. I've never used a Sovereign that requires ground balancing so I can't help you there.

Also what is the normal range of detection for an air test? BBS units are not know for their air testing abilities. They need the ground matrix to perform to their potential. Don't fret about air testing.
I got around 20 - 22cm on a 25mm coin which seems quite shallow compared to my AT pro which gets around 30cm.

Is there something wrong with my unit or do I just have it set up wrong? Doesn't sound like there is any problem with your detector, just need more experience that time will heal.

Hope this is helpful...

OP
OP
O

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this is helpful...

Thank you for replying!

I can't believe I missed the sticky post on top of the forum :laughing7:
I couldn't find any specific information on the internet about the usage of this detector, so that's why I was unsure whether my machine was functioning properly.
Are there any settings in particular I should try to use for example in a park or beach that have worked well for others?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread