What Headphones do you use with your E-Trac?

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to purchase a new pair of headphones soon for my e-trac. I feel the factory koss headphones have good sound but don't have a very good hold on my head and get pulled off or fall off often. Also they don't block out outside sound very good as well. Usually hunting in cellar holes where the main sound is crunching leaves and birds but taking a beach trip in May and want to block out wind/wave sound. I have grey ghost amphibians for the at-pro and use them always but don't love the comfort of them. Anyone use the killer B optima headphones on there e-trac? I like the 26 decibel blocking and leather cuffs. What do you use and what do you like/dislike about them with the e-trac?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Black widows by Detector Pro

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Killer Bees, and my Detector Pro NDTs, have a Rattler for when I wish to hear surrounding sounds. I also have wireless Auvios, and wireless is the way to go although the Auvios are kind of light. I see Deteknix and Garret now make wireless phones, you may wish to look into these because not having that wire is a real boon, especially in the woods.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gray Ghost Ultimates

OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Killer Bees, and my Detector Pro NDTs, have a Rattler for when I wish to hear surrounding sounds. I also have wireless Auvios, and wireless is the way to go although the Auvios are kind of light. I see Deteknix and Garret now make wireless phones, you may wish to look into these because not having that wire is a real boon, especially in the woods.
I actually prefer a wired set because its one less devise for me to worry about being charged lol Cant exactly swap out batteries in the field on something that only charges via a mini usb and such.

OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gray Ghost Ultimates

These look like my amphibians that I cant wear for long without changing there placement due to the pain on my head they give me.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
My first koss headphones broke, so I bought the cheap bounty hunter headphones, used them for awhile, and i got a new pair of Koss headphones free from Minelab after talking to tech support on another issue and mentioning my problems with the first set. I hunt with one ear covered and I like the way you can swivel one of the earpieces up to keep one ear uncovered in the event you need to hear something or someone sneaking up on you. This day and age you can't be too careful.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys tell me if this only happens to me, then I'll know. Every pair of headphones I've ever used when detecting causes pain in either one or both ears. I think what's happening is the blood is cut-off to my ears due to poor fit of my ears inside the headphones. Not saying I have huge ears, but after a couple of hours, my ears are burning. It's like when I buy sunglasses, they seem to fit ok but after a while I have to remove them. They feels like my head is getting squeezed. Guess one size doesn't fit all.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like to be able to hear what's going on around me too. I have a pair of koss that
Cost about $40, are 60 ohm and can hear the detector sounds and outside sounds as well. Thinking about getting
Gray ghost rattlers for $85. They have one ear cup and are like 140 ohm. I use a safari

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Uniprobe headphones. I like having the pin pointer going through them. The comfort is ok.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use grey ghost deep woods. It cuts out most of the sound around you. But wish I had bought the rattlers, as I need to be able to hear snakes. I have a regular set of grey ghost still in the package I need to check out. I have used Koss most of my life. But after using the grey ghost I am happy with them. But they are hot in the summertime. I see killer b's used by some of the older hands. Im sure what ever you get you will be happy. My ears sometimes cramp after a few hours. I just pull one side off at a time when this happens.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have all three of the good lifetime warranty metal detecting headphones- Sunray, Killer B and Detector Pro (Grey Ghost/Black Widows/Nugget buster).

I find that there are two things that you need to check for yourself when choosing a pair of headphones, as these two things are adjusted by individual taste:
1 - Physical fit. Some like the larger ear-cups such as those found on the Grey Ghosts, some like the smaller type,like you would find on the Killer Bs.
2 - Sound quality. Again this is subjective... what sounds good to you doesn't necessarily sound good to me. And sometimes what sounds good on an Etrac sounds horrible on a Fisher...

If you are in a position when you can try some out before you can buy them, it would be best. Take your detector and plug in a few before deciding.

But if you are not in a position to check them out in person, I'd suggest Grey Ghost Originals. The price is very good and most of my customers like the sound of them when plugged into an Etrac.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thinking I should have gotten Rattlers.

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
b.widows. due to my tinnitus...separate volume is awesome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread