When the target is DEEP - Explorer and Sunray Probe?

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Explorer SE Pro that I'm still learning, but I'm finding it pretty easy to use overall.

I am having a small problem with deep targets though. I have had solid hits in the quarter range that showed as 12"+ on the depth meter. I pinpoint, and start digging where it appears to be. And I dig. And I dig. But I can't seem to get down to the target. Yesterday, I had a hole that was 14" deep (measured by stacking my TRX on top of my Lesche in the hole), and the SE was still telling me the target was there, but my pinpointer never got a hit. Any targets that the depth meter shows to be anything less then 8-10", I don't seem to be having any problem finding, it's only those that the meter is bottomed out on.

The pinpointer hasn't failed me in other holes, so I don't think it's the pinpointer. I don't want to keep digging, as I really don't want to dig to China in this lady's lawn. I eventually gave up, thinking that it must be something large, like a can or other scrap that was just buried crazy deep.

This has gotten me thinking about the Sunray X-1 probe. Would the probe have helped in these cases? I'm thinking the probe goes deeper (not sure how deep it goes) then the TRX, and would let me know if my hole is off, or if the target is actually there where I'm digging. I think it will also help with those signals that sound great before you start the hole, but only for the signal to change to something not so great once the hole is opened.

For those of you have or have had the Sunray, how helpful is it? Do you use it in concert with a handheld, or just the Sunray and ditch the handheld? The recent price surge in the Sunray has me really questioning the benefit of having one, but at the same time, not having one could be costing me more.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you need to dig at least one of those "deep" targets until you find it. That will ease your mind that it's not your pin pointer and that your Explorer is telling you the truth that the item is actually deep. The SunRay pin pointer isn't going to tell you anything different than your Explorer. A pin pointer will only help you zero in on it's exact location.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the exployer is saying its there--dig it, your pin pointer is only good for a few inches . Your target may be on the sides of the hole also. I use the 8.5 x 12.5 cors coil on my exployer se and it does go very deep. Also you may be picking up large iron targets at 15-16 inches, just gotta dig em or it will drive you nuts -wondering what it was :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pretty much rescan (both in detect mode and in pinpoint) the hole a couple of times on the way down, and check the sidewalls of the hole frequently with the pinpointer. I have had a couple of times where it was in the sidewall about 6-8" down, but there have been other times where even after I widen the hole, the SE pinpoint says it's still in the center, and still 12"+ down.

I'm not super keen on getting a Sunray (current price is absurd), but I can't figure out if the target is still just further down, and just out of reach of the TRX (about 3"). I was thinking a Sunray would at least tell me if I'm heading in the right direction (straight down), or if it's to the side, just deep.

How far does a Sunray 'see'?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions