CTX 3030 - best tips......got one on the way!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys/gals, I have hunted the last few years with a V3i and just recently a Deus also...but felt like the 3030 maybe what I am looking for. .I am mainly interested in coins...older the better...mainly yard hunting and old home sites. ..what are your thoughts for programs and settings, please keep in mind that I have detected for years, but have never even seen a Minelab in person. ..thanks for any help or tips.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first tip would be to send it to me, you've got enough machines you don't need any more! LOL......

I will be watching this thread though, as I'm pretty sure I will be picking one up in the next week or two.

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to see I am not the only one late to the party geobound!

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with an open screen, combined audio, tones to your liking, fast off , deep on. I run in ground coin because of my soil bit you may be able to use ferrous coin. Lots of silver to be found:)

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy Sabisch's book and a test garden are probably the best thing to do. The machine was not as intemadating as I thought it would be. You have to experiment with the programs to find the settings that best fit your style and ground. That's where the test garden comes in. Good luck!

HH, RN

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put a post in the wanted section for Andys book if anyone wants to part with a copy?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another peice of advice. Once you find some settings you like, stick with them for a while and only make minor adjustments. I changed to much to fast at first and it will only confuse things. This machine will do a lot once you fine tune it, and it likes coins.

HH, RN

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Anyone else got any hints for a first timer? Lots of guys had minelabs for several years. ...what you got!? Thanks

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Everything you need to know is in Andy's book. Read it, go out and use the machine, read book again, tweak settings, use machine, read book again....rinse repeat. Took me about 20-25 hrs of use to get my setting dialed in and going back the book kept helping me with different little things each time I went out. I really don't think there is a 'magic setting' for the CTX. Its more about what you want the machine to do for the environment you are in. Once you learn the machine you can build a few of your own programs for your exact hunting style/needs. Andy's book has great starter programs too that you can tweak as you learn the machine.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I loaded the DR Tones patterns out of the Sabich book and started there.

Once you get comfortable in one Target Response mode, (and this can take a while) Choose another. I started in Ferrous-Coin since that seemed to work well.

Once you have 'learned' that response, choose Low Trash, if in an area of low trash, and learn that one. When over a target that you are curious about, set up your Ferrous Coin program as the 'Previous Mode' and you can toggle between them with the user button.

Between that toggling and mask1 and mask2, I gain a tremendous amount of info about the target.

It takes seconds, don't think I am standing over a target for minutes...

It is like having two detectors at once.

I have been using the CTX for 14 months and I am still geeking out over it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't get confused by the kaleidoscope of flutie sounds you hear. And don't forget the basics you've learned with other machines. This beast can freak you out if you're impatient. Remember the basics. A solid sound in two directions of swing gets me on my knees every time. I had the Etrac first and I almost regretted buying it, what the heck was that thing doing! But then I settled in finding clad at a school yard on my first hunt - but only because I remembered the basics of hunting.

Now with two full years into the CTX, I'm pretty happy swinging it and make my own choices about whether I dig or not - depends on how I feel on that particular day of hunting.

I have grown to trust the FE-CO numbers. Yeah they can vary some here and there, but they are generally spot on. I always know when it's a zincoln for sure! I went for a while not digging them, and sometimes don't now - depends on how tired I am. But I also know that there might be gold hiding under that FE-CO number.

I've a collection of FE-CO number charts for the Etrac. PM me with your e-mail addy and I'll send them to you.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Deepseeker, I totally agree. ID is generally correct.

I will skip the zincs when I am tired of digging them too, but I always feel guilty about it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker, I totally agree. ID is generally correct.

I will skip the zincs when I am tired of digging them too, but I always feel guilty about it.

When I'm in a modern trashy park, I don't regret ignoring zincs at all! Just relieved! :laughing7:

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet, thanks for the info guys!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best tip on 3030.... Buy Andy Sabisch's book "Handbook For CTX3030", it is almost 200 pages of tips.... First thing I did was get rid of the 50 tone conductive and changed the tone profile to 4 tone combined. (4 tone plus iron)

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I , 2nd and 3rd Andys book .
It's a great resource, has recommendations to beef up the stock programs that come with the detector.
Also I feel the detector garden is a good idea, you have known objects at known depths and you can experiment with different settings and see what changes. It's not exactly like what's in the real world but gets you started.
I've also got one of Andys Bootcamps schedualed for June , most say it just follows the book , but I'm sure there will be little tidbits and a lot of questions answered, so worth the effort
BT

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just signed up for Andy's Bootcamp in Woodhaven, MI on April 29th.

I've used mine two years now, and this bootcamp won't hurt me :)

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best tip on 3030.... Buy Andy Sabisch's book "Handbook For CTX3030", it is almost 200 pages of tips.... First thing I did was get rid of the 50 tone conductive and changed the tone profile to 4 tone combined. (4 tone plus iron)

The tones, it seems like there are definitely two schools of thought here...full tones and a 4 or 5 tone preference. ...could anyone elaborate on why you prefer full tones or tone break bins?

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
I use 50 tone to mimic a Sovereign GT when hunting in the water and wet sand. Most beeps are dug and the tone clues me in on what I am going after.

In parks, I use 4 tone combine and I make the nickel area sound like the penny/dime/quarter buckets. Below a nickel (usually can slaw), I set to ferrous bucket so in essence I am using 3 tones overall. So my goal is to listen for the mid or high tone. The parks I hunt are hit hard so the shallow stuff has been found and looking for the deeper stuff mixed in with garbage. Most of the coins I have dug recently would not lock on the VDI nor the trace so basically I am using tones to identify a diggable target.

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
Read Andy's book, set up tones to what you like. It is a great machine and provides a lot of information. I have used ctx 303O since they first came out and I use a V3i. I dig less trash with V3i and more confident using mixed more pro stereo. CTX is faster recovery and water proof. Gone Hunting is a good program you can toggle between wide open and discrimination screen to check targets. Use pinpoint retrace to check target for iron / good target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread