Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 17" coil for my CTX and it sits in the garage. I'm thinking of taking it out to an old park with deep coins, plenty of trash and shallow clad. Do you think I'll get through the trash? Pulled 7 seated dimes out of this park last year as well as over 200 Indians. Many of the signals were right up against old iron, aluminum etc. Deep signals are getting lean and I was thinking of using the 17" coil. Thoughts?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used the 17" coil three times when I was looking for more coverage in large fields. I don't have any noticeable trouble in trashy areas. It's just like I'm swinging the 11" coil, except much heavier. Pin points the same too using the wiggle method.

I really cannot attest to the depth differences, since this is a mountainous area where we hit hard pack and rock at about 6".

I've a Detecting Buddy sling which I used on my last outing - still, after 3 hours I was pretty beat.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I used my 17 for about 4 months; hunt mainly beaches with the 3030 in spots where you can rent chairs, I could not grasp a good feel for it at all. Just way too much junk, I dig everything but about 25% of the time when I knew I was digging some trash I would find another item that was not trash. I had ruined a few good jewellery items that would have been worth more than their weight in scrap because I thought I was digging trash and just hit it with the scoop because I am not going to be careful whilst digging trash.

The Coiltek 10X5 is much better for me and I have not even looked at that 17 since then.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I love mine, but I do not use it in areas with lots of signals.

Use it for coverage in low trash areas and you will love it.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Conventional wisdom and a lot of the 'experts' say you shouldn't bother, but I've used mine in a lot of trashy schoolyards and done well. It will go deeper but it wont always go deeper is the best I can tell you- just too many variable in soil and trash density etc to spout off a hawglaw. Go slow and pay attention; about anything is worth trying at least once in detecting.

If I didn't have to use a harness with it, I'd use it a lot more on dirt.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Conventional wisdom and a lot of the 'experts' say you shouldn't bother, but I've used mine in a lot of trashy schoolyards and done well. It will go deeper but it wont always go deeper is the best I can tell you- just too many variable in soil and trash density etc to spout off a hawglaw. Go slow and pay attention; about anything is worth trying at least once in detecting.

If I didn't have to use a harness with it, I'd use it a lot more on dirt.

Kind of how I feel. I think it will go deeper in most instances and being that the good stuff coming out of this park is all deep I think it just might work. Being that it's a Double D configuration on the coin I think I can get between some of the junk. I'll see.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of how I feel. I think it will go deeper in most instances and being that the good stuff coming out of this park is all deep I think it just might work. Being that it's a Double D configuration on the coin I think I can get between some of the junk. I'll see.

One thing you might do is take the 17" to an area you think you've hunted out. And let us know how you did :)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yeah, I think sometimes folks forget that theyre searching with a strip in a DD and not the entire surface area (or really, a cone) of a concentric.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I think sometimes folks forget that theyre searching with a strip in a DD and not the entire surface area (or really, a cone) of a concentric.

Yep, you'll see these pics have been posted before. With the cone configuration of the concentric coil, your coil sweep may have overlapped - but at depth, did you really find all the targets there?

Concentric Coils.jpg Double-D.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread