Thoughts on Go find 60 for kids or beginners

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Impact, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anybody used the Go find 60 or got one for your kids? How is the performance of this machine. I purchased a nokta impact to compliment my Etrac and received the go find 60 for free. It's going to be for my 3 and 4.5 yr old boys still waiting for it to get here right now.

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there anybody that has used this machine?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never swung one but by all unbiased accounts that I have read, it is a good quality beginner machine. I don't know the ergonomics of what age is appropriate to swing it tho. Give it a try and let us know!

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never swung one but by all unbiased accounts that I have read, it is a good quality beginner machine. I don't know the ergonomics of what age is appropriate to swing it tho. Give it a try and let us know!

I will let you know how it is when it gets here. I will play around with it a little before I let my boys take it over. I'm hoping it will be a good fit for them.

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is OK. It picks up targets, is very light, and folds up nicely so it don't take up much space. I bought one for my youngest son who was 10 or 11 at the time. He enjoyed it very much. He is outgrowing it now and wants to have a garrett ace 400 model. The downside to the go find 60 is that it appears to be pretty cheap made, mostly plastic, and the target ID is not very accurate. It also doesn't go very deep, and pinpointing isn't the easiest. I don't mean the negatives to dissuade you, it does do well for a beginner or backup, your boys will have a lot of fun with it. Tell them I said good luck and have Fun!

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is OK. It picks up targets, is very light, and folds up nicely so it don't take up much space. I bought one for my youngest son who was 10 or 11 at the time. He enjoyed it very much. He is outgrowing it now and wants to have a garrett ace 400 model. The downside to the go find 60 is that it appears to be pretty cheap made, mostly plastic, and the target ID is not very accurate. It also doesn't go very deep, and pinpointing isn't the easiest. I don't mean the negatives to dissuade you, it does do well for a beginner or backup, your boys will have a lot of fun with it. Tell them I said good luck and have Fun!

Thanks! I will let them know you said that! Yea I'm not too worried about the depth for them. The main reasons I got it was how light it is and that it collapses down pretty small. They are young and I don't see them swinging it too long at a time. They just want to be like daddy and I don't want to discourage them by telling them they are too little! Heck maybe they will find a cache of gold coins with this thing lol.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know where you are located, but digging at the beach for them would be a LOT easier and create some good father-sons memories.

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in southern Illinois. So no beaches just sandbars when the wabash river dries up. I have a feeling I'm going to be helping quite a bit on the digging! But I do agree it would be a lot easier on them and me!

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i picked up one on eBay to use as a back up or to just have one in the car. I have not used it a lot, but seams to do ok. With the kids it is a little light weight on the plastic and I don't think it would take a lot of rough housing. I tend to put weight on the shaft when I start to dig, it does not like that and will sometimes start sliding shut. So if the size is a must, it's good, but a Garrett Ace 200 might last longer with kids. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i picked up one on eBay to use as a back up or to just have one in the car. I have not used it a lot, but seams to do ok. With the kids it is a little light weight on the plastic and I don't think it would take a lot of rough housing. I tend to put weight on the shaft when I start to dig, it does not like that and will sometimes start sliding shut. So if the size is a must, it's good, but a Garrett Ace 200 might last longer with kids. Hope this helps.

Yea I just received it yesterday and like you said it is pretty flimsy. I expected it to be a little since its all plastic. Oh Well! We will see how long it holds up! I haven't got a chance to take it out in the field yet to see how it performs. Its pretty slick how it folds down so little though. If the kids can't use it I will definitely keep it around as a backup though! That will give me a reason to buy another toy if it doesn't work for them!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this as a back up/or if a friend wants to come along,I like it!. It compacts down to fit in my back pack and it light weight,it's easy to use.
I found a 1945 quarter at about 10 inches down ,so I'm pleased.
The only draw back,is it won't take my rechargeable batteries?

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have this as a back up/or if a friend wants to come along,I like it!. It compacts down to fit in my back pack and it light weight,it's easy to use.
I found a 1945 quarter at about 10 inches down ,so I'm pleased.
The only draw back,is it won't take my rechargeable batteries?

That's weird that it won't take rechargeable batteries. I wonder why?

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took the go find out for a little bit last night and my first impression is that it's ok. If doesn't seem like it will hold up to young kids very long. The grip is pretty flimsy and has a lot of wiggle after it's locked in place.
The app for it is kind of cool but the signals between the machine and phone have about a 1 second lag time. Which is ok I didn't purchase it for the app it's just a bonus.

It is a little to big for my 4yr old he can swing it but he struggles. The signal icons are great for him though. It has the 4 pictures which flash accordingly to what it picks up. He kept asking me last night of we want to keep the screw (That's the iron signal icon). But he knows now we don't want to dig that signal. And when the coin icon flashes he knows that's what we want to dig. So that part of the machine is good for young kids. I will post some more after I actually dig some targets.

I just wanted to play around with it a little last night since the weather was good.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bkeep, The 60 is entry level but I purchased it and found it had its place in the adult community and I was fortunate enough to have it pay for itself with finds that had good value within a very short tome. I think it is a bit much for a 4 year old but I am very familiar with the little blue Bounty hunter and the entry level Technitics. The little child's blue unit by Bounty Hunter held itself against bigger detectors in a test except for depth, The Technetics is a bit more advanced but is cut for a small person's size. Your new user appears to have the interest so we all welcome that new digger to our great hobby.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always good to read about kids learning to detect :icon_thumleft: I have been curious about the GoFind, thanks for the review!

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bkeep, The 60 is entry level but I purchased it and found it had its place in the adult community and I was fortunate enough to have it pay for itself with finds that had good value within a very short tome. I think it is a bit much for a 4 year old but I am very familiar with the little blue Bounty hunter and the entry level Technitics. The little child's blue unit by Bounty Hunter held itself against bigger detectors in a test except for depth, The Technetics is a bit more advanced but is cut for a small person's size. Your new user appears to have the interest so we all welcome that new digger to our great hobby.

Thank You! I agree that this machine is definitely too big for my little treasure hunters. The reason I gave this one a shot was because I received it for free with the purchase of my other detector. I really wanted to get him the bounty hunter Jr TID but it was not available for the deal I got. I don't know why because it's much cheaper than the go find.

I will probably go ahead and buy 2 of those for my oldest boys. I think I seen them on Amazon for about 50 dollars. I don't want him to get discouraged with the minelab so I will probably put that one up for a few years or I will just use it as a backup. I don't need a real deep detector for him anyway.

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its always good to read about kids learning to detect :icon_thumleft: I have been curious about the GoFind, thanks for the review!

Yea they are my little treasure hunters just like i was when i was a kid and still am of course lol. I have a 1yr old son too that im hoping will be the same way! I love having them hovering over the hole with the pinpointer when I take them out with me. It doesn't matter if it's a nail or a penny they are just as excited either way!

I will post some more this weekend after I use it a little more. Like I said I just took it out for about 30 minutes last night. I think it will make a good detector for a backup and to keep in your vehicle or backpack to test a site out before you take your daily machine out to it.

Last edited:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Go Find 60 it' light weight and can fit into a backpack( my came with a nice nylon tote bag),it's easy to use and has a back light which comes in handy.
My friends and wife like using it a say that it's easy to learn.
There are some problems with it though,such as - bad glare in sunny conditions,mine doesn't always come on when turned on( I have to shake it a bit), and when opening it,you can pull it apart,ouch!
Other than that I like it and yes I would buy another one.

OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like my Go Find 60 it' light weight and can fit into a backpack( my came with a nice nylon tote bag),it's easy to use and has a back light which comes in handy.
My friends and wife like using it a say that it's easy to learn.
There are some problems with it though,such as - bad glare in sunny conditions,mine doesn't always come on when turned on( I have to shake it a bit), and when opening it,you can pull it apart,ouch!
Other than that I like it and yes I would buy another one.

Thanks for your input! I still haven't really had time to use it very much. But I am impressed with how small it folds down. I'm going to try and get some depth tests done on it this week. I'm looking for a smaller machine for my boys this one is a little to big. I went to jet.com and they have a good selection of machines for young kids at decent prices. If anyone else knows where I can get one or two bounty hunter Jr T.I.D's pretty cheap let me know. Ive looked at a bunch of metal detecting shops and the cheapest I can find is 70.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bkeepes

May 3, 2017
Mt. Carmel, illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TheHunterGT love those videos! I plan on supporting a vendor if they can get me a decent price. I'm impressed with the depth on that thing! I will definitely be getting a couple for my boys. Thanks for the input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread