Excal: Recargable batteries don't work in alkaline battery pod? Battery ideas??

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered a set of the lithium batteries with the charger and an extra battery pod (factory pod from Minelab). The pod states on the side that it's not for diving, is for wading only, waterproof to only 10 ft (I can sorta deal with this) and to not use re-chargeable batteries in it (this however, really sucks). This pretty much ruins my plan for a backup battery system.

I want to use the lithium batteries for trips when I can't get my machine charged quite so quickly. How are others swapping out batteries?? The thought of using like 8 alkaline batteries in any situation but an absolute power emergency doesn't appeal to me.

Also, my machine is under warranty for 3 or 4 more months, so if I use this pod and it voids my warranty, I don't think I want that route (right now at least). Thoughts?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It won't hurt anything at all. Standard warranty procedure for any electronic item. There's no way they would ever know anyway.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like lots of hi$ electronics say no rechargables (and I usually comply) but it also seems to me that a hi$ electronic item should have a simple voltage limiter built into it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's more the difference in the pods. For some reason, the rechargeable pod and the alkaline pod have a different depth rating. Maybe different plastic? :dontknow: They might be worried it wouldn't hold pressure should an aftermarket battery cause some sort of gas buildup or expansion? I've been using the RNB batteries with great success......but only in the rechargeable pod in the Excalibur. I haven't tried it yet in the alkaline pod.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up the lithium battery in the middle of last Summer, and the alkaline pod. Used it for more than 20 hours last Summer, and hit the water a couple weeks ago with that battery still on it. Works fine! Still has a very good charge on it! Maybe one of the best purchases I made last year. I go chin deep in the water with it, don't dive with it, but zero problems on this end. Love it!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up the lithium battery in the middle of last Summer, and the alkaline pod. Used it for more than 20 hours last Summer, and hit the water a couple weeks ago with that battery still on it. Works fine! Still has a very good charge on it! Maybe one of the best purchases I made last year. I go chin deep in the water with it, don't dive with it, but zero problems on this end. Love it!!!

Great to hear. THANKS!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great to hear. THANKS!!

I bought the battery and pod after I hit the water with my stock battery and it lasted about 2 minutes. There's a thread from more than a year ago as I recall where Treasure_Hunter talked about testing the battery voltage with a meter. I should have tested the battery prior to that hunt, but thought I had enough - think it was something like 12 hours of on time duration prior to recharging? Now I have a backup to avoid instances like that. I'll keep the stock one fully charged and on hand if that ever happens again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions