Advice needed on X-Terra 70

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Great good morning fella's, Need alittle help here. I have a X-Terra 70 that I haven't used for a long time, and decided to try and re-learn it as I should have long ago. I watched a video by "doggoneitdignit" on his thread "Minelab X-Terra 70", learned some things from it. OK then, two questions, first, I took it out yesterday to a loco park, with the 18Khz coil for starters, had trouble with the "Pin point mode", sometimes it had only one loud continuous hum, sometimes it would stop, and then I could pinpoint with it, other times I would switch back to hunt mode, and then press pinpoint again, sometimes it would then work, other times the loud hum again. I have tried pressing "Pinpoint" with the coil ON the ground, and tried pressing pinpoint with coil OFF the ground. I believe the detector itself is fine, I think it's more the operator (me) at fault somehow. Any help? Second question, I have read where some owners say the 9"? stock coil is not all that good, (the 7.5Khz one) and that you really need the 10.5 coil, in your experience, is that so? I've detected a lot of years, but am ALWAYS open to any advice. We realize every machine is different, and I use the Garrett AT Pro, and the Minelab Safari, but want to re-learn the 70, I really do not remember giving it the chance that I should have. It's like having a whole new machine without buying another one. Thank you one and all for ANY feedback.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy , can't help with pinpoint issue but I can speak up about the coil question.....I use the 505 , but I suspect about the same results as the 705..... I use the MF 10.5' coil and if I take it off it is because I am going with the 6" coiltek in some trashy area....the 10.5 does make the machine nose-heavy , but if you have the AT pro with the stock coil, you know what that feels like ...... Here in our soil , the MF coil is deeper than the HF coil ,,,,,, Good luck !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread