AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???

Sorry to beat a dead horse...but I'm about to purchase a X-70 and would like to buy 1 or 2 coils in addition to the stock coil. My head is spinning...there's 7 coils to choose from!

I will be detecting for:

- Deep old US coins in Northern Illinois, in parks, old home yards and in the woods.

- Parks (trashy areas)

- Small gold flakes/nuggets in/around Fairbanks AK (will do this for only one summer)

Thanks in advance!
Ang

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
Found this on Findmall about the high freq coils. The Gold areas I hunt out here in the desert are FULL of trash from drywashers. I just detect the tailings mostly. Most of the trash was deposited years and years ago as I'm sure most modern prospectors are much better at cleaning up after themselves thank god.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,677361

I'm also up in the air as to which coils to select when I buy my X70. I was all ready to go with the 5x10 18.75kHz, but the 6" 18.75kHz sounds just as capable and you get waterproofing.

I might also get a 3kHz coil for silver hunts. ;)

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
There are definitely a lot of choices! Myself, I think if I had to limit myself to two extra coils I would go with the X-Terra 10" x 5" DD 18.75kHz Elliptical since you get good ground coverage and sensitivity and the X-Terra 6" Concentric 7.5khz Round Coil for the trashy areas as well as being able to work in small areas and the fact it is waterproof is always a plus. I am sure you will get a lot of different opinions and will be able to make the choice that works best for ya!

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
The 3kHz coil will go deep, the 18.75 coil should be a gold magnet even in parks looking for small gold items, the 7.5 kHZ is a good all round, high trash the 6" is better, the DD should be more stable than a concentric in bad ground. Dan

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thank you all for your advice and input. I'll look over the suggested coils and hopefully place my order first thing tomorrow.

Happy Hunting!
Ang

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
The 5 X 10 DD 18.75 for gold nuggets (not waterproof). The 6" DD 18.75 for trashy areas is fantastic, waterproof and good for gold nuggets in the tighter areas. I have not tried the 3khz coil or the 10.5 DD 7.5 coil, but have read that some people like the 10.5 DD coil better than the 3khz coil for deep finds. One day I will have both and find out for myself. I do have the 5 X 10 DD and the 6" DD and you had better have a large firearm in your hand if your going to try and take them from me. The 5 X 10 DD covers more ground and is a little more sensitive on it's sides. It's my pick for gold nuggets.

Good hunting, John K

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rifleman said:
(snip, snip...) The 5 X 10 DD covers more ground and is a little more sensitive on it's sides. It's my pick for gold nuggets.

Good hunting, John K

Not to mention that it is very light and super easy to pinpoint. I have the 9" stock MF CC, the 6" HF DD and the 10.5" MF DD. The 5 X 10 is my favorite and I use it MOST of the time.
:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread