Which minelab metal detector should I buy? Minelab explorer II or SE?

D

Driftking102

My beginner metal detector was a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and I was wondering which one I should get? A minelab explorer II or the SE. I've had my tracker IV for since I was a softmore in high school and now I am a senior. I am wondering which one is the best? My budget will be as high as I can go. Since I have a job and get paychecks every two weeks. I will be saving for whichever one i can get.

Oh...I would like one that can find clad coins, old coins, and gold. I know it all depends on the site but I need a more advanced metal detector. I have sites that I can hunt...Its just my Tracker IV won't go really deep like all the others.

Please tell me your opinions! Thanks guys! :)

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Either one of those detectors would be a very nice upgrade for you. It is nice to see a young person that is willing to work and save for something these days. Kudos to you! Let me know if I can help in any way. Would be an honor. Looking forward to seeing what you decide and even better...to be seeing the finds once you have a new detector!

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
I just upgraded to an Explorer SE from a BH 505. The difference between the two is like night and day. The SE is super, super sensitive compared to the BH models. Nearly all my hunting is coin shooting in parks, schools, beaches, etc. It took me about three or four days to get the feel for the SE. One of the big differences between the BH Vs. the SE is speed. If you like to swing a coil quickly don't get an Explorer II or SE. I could practically run with my BH and still get good coin hits the SE requires a much slower pace. You have to give up speed for depth and sensitivity. I LOVE the new SE. The double read out for ferrous and conductivity is fantastic! I can tell what is under the coil simply by seeing the number read outs. It can pick up coins at 12" deep with no problem. I would highly recommend the new SE if you can swing the cost. Good Luck and HH

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
"six of one and a half dozen of the other".. both of them are great.

OP
OP
D

Driftking102

Ok. I am going for the Minelab SE! Where should I buy it at? The main website?

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
I live buy one rule; "Buy the best when you can and you will seldom be disappointed!" The SE is the best out there, bar none. You will need to go in however, understanding the machine is a complex piece of equipment. Therefore, be prepared for a learning curve. Anyone on site, who uses the SE (and many who don't :) will be more than glad to help anyway "we" can.

Good luck!
GRB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread