Minelab X-Terra Series Depth Indication of Target ?

TxCacheHunter

Sep 23, 2008
San Antonio, Texas Near Sea World
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Garrett 2500
How does the X-Terra Series indicate depth of the target? I see that there are 5 icons on the LCD display and the manual says each icon is approxmately 2", but does it indicate depth in any other way? I'm hoping there is a better depth read out than just 5 icons, but if thats it, how well does it work? How does it read if the target is right on the surface and almost touching the coil?

I'm doing my research without the luxury of having a X-Terra to try or even to go look at, so any comments would be welcome.

HH
Larry
TxCacheHunter

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Re: X-Terra 70 Depth Indication of Target ?

The closer the target is to the coil, the stronger teh signal will be. I happen to almost never look at my depth readout. Useless info to me.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

He's right about hearing the difference in the signal being a good way to judge depth. To answer your question, yes the arrows are all you have. But, that's not really so bad as depth on just about every machine is calibrated on a "coin sized" target, whatever that means, since they don't specify what coin and every one of those other detectors I've used were off when it came to telling you what the depth was. I've only used one machine that was fairly accurate on depth (and only with the stock coil-MXT). So, IMHO getting an idea if the coin is shallow, average, or deep is about the most reliable info you're going to get anyway and I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor in choosing this machine as it excels in so many other things.

OP
OP
TxCacheHunter

TxCacheHunter

Sep 23, 2008
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the responses. Anyone else please jump in with comments. I understand about the accuracy of the depth indication, but my concern is at least knowing if it is at 10 or 12" or more and large, that I most likely don't want to dig it. I guess I expected a little more sophistication in displaying depth from a detector of this price range and popularity. I hadn't considered the sound difference, but I would think that would be a function of the sensitivity level at the time as well.

More comments would be great from other X-Terra users to assure me that the 5 icons along with the sound difference are adequate indicators.

HH
Larry
TxCacheHunter

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2

No depth indicator signal is accurate below about 6 inches, so basically not worth having

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry, if your concern is depth and size, once a target is found, simply use prospect mode. Scan the target, scan again at 90 deg, and you will have a good idea of the size of the target by the high tones produced. The depth meter is OK, but I don't often look at it, as said above, the tone will tell you more.
HH

OP
OP
TxCacheHunter

TxCacheHunter

Sep 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the responses. I am getting the idea that the X-Terra 70 is one fine detector and really liked (some even said loved) by those that are using it. I hope to be getting one soon.

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss a deep target that you think is large. The other day, I had a pretty consistant quarter signal. I dug a 6" deep plug and the target was still in the hole reading consistant quarter. This has always meant an alumium can. At 12"+ It was an 1806 large cent. I was very surprised at the depth and accuracy of the read. After I removed the plug, I would have bet my next check that it was a can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread