Minnesota hunters

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Man I keep reading about this cool hunt that will go on in MO in Oct.
Sometimes I wonder if we could do a little something in MN too.
It sure would be fun to meet with others.
It's just where to go that we could all have a good time.

I sometimes dream of hunting one of the big old homes in Duluth.
The ones in the neighborhood of the Glensheen Mansion.

Or one of BKs famous Sidewalk or Park tearups.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wetgreenie,
I got you're PM.
I was up in St. Paul a couple months ago. We were staying right downtown so I took a little walk around. We were only a couple blocks from Summit Avenue.
Man, there sure were some nice looking yards there too. I suppose I could have asked the Governor if I could "do" his yard. ;D I had my detector along (as usual), but didn't have enough time to do anything.
The problem with planning to detect a sidewalk tear out is that by the time you notified anyone about it, there would be fresh cement there. Once the sidewalk is out they don't waste any time filling it back in again.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
The lawns around glensheen are very manicured, permission from the gardener would probably not happen. That includes most of the surrounding homes too. It would be a dream spot though!!! Those construction projects really move along, street tearup last week is now tarred road!! I need to be retired to take advantage.
Nice to have fellow Minnesotans on the forum.
HH

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
I got permission to do a property where they removed a 1950 house.
They also tore out all the old bushes and some trees.
i managed to find some clad but still looking for my first great find.

I'm so hard up for a cool find, I broke down and bought some "clean your own" roman coins off Ebay.

BK- I bet that summit Ave was just calling you. There is a lot of historic homes there.
I wonder if anyone would care if we lifted some sidewalk with a big prybar? ;)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just put on a yellow jacket and a hard hat and tell them you're with the city sidewalk replacement crew. Tell them you're checking for mold under the sidewalk. ;D.
Really though, I never let a well manicured lawn stop me from asking for permission. I got into some really nice old yards that were taken care of by groundskeepers. The problem though is I don't think these people ever had any children, or used the yard like us more common folk do. I live in a town where there are a lot of doctors mansions, but these guys never have time to do anything in the yard.

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
I have a friend who owns property north of Kenyon MN., with a authentic 1860s era cabin on it. The site is virgin. The MNHS was contacted some years ago but had no funding available, the cabin has since collapsed. I have info available and the owner I know would be happy to have someone search the area. Might make for a good group hunt?

I was there twice and found the usual spikes and hand made nails [iron] but nothing of value, (I was new at this time). For many years the area was the dump for the main farm, lots of iron stuff and parts litter the area. I know I could get us in there next spring...thoughts?

neil

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
Sorry it took so long to post, but these are the only relics I found at the "Old Cabin". They were everywhere [around the cabin]. What surprised me was the fact that most of these were unused! I can't believe the waste, I would think that the nails would have been rare in this location and time period.

na1.JPG

neil

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Could be a cool place, a group hunt would be fun....It sounds like JD from the forum may try to organise one in wisconsin next season too. either way the hunts would be a great way for people like me to learn some more about the hobby.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Wolfpaw--nice nails. I've found lots of square nails too,but all have been used.

Wetgreenie-- any more info on a supposed Wisconsin hunt from JD??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread