***AMMUNITION SHORTAGE REASON***

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
W ell, I finally found the reason for the ammo. shortage.
The EPA was working on The Toxic Substance Act which would have practically banned lead in ammunition and also fishing sinkers and lures.
The manufacturers were searching for a substitute and were holding up on purchasing lead. It appears the new fed. budget will ban that Act.
Commence fire, Frank five star.png

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would make it tough for those of us who cast lead balls for our muzzleloaders. Nothing works like lead (which is usually from free scrap sources).

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The EPA was working on The Toxic Substance Act which would have practically banned lead in ammunition and also fishing sinkers and lures.
The manufacturers were searching for a substitute and were holding up on purchasing lead. It appears the new fed. budget will ban that Act.
Commence fire, Frank View attachment 1090506

Where did you hear that, email, or a good source. I've heard the ammo companies are turning it out like usual, but it's being hoarded and bought up. Don't know the truth of that though, yours makes more sense. I bought a couple of boxes of .22's yesterday for Christmas presents, only found them in one store, and it cost 3.95 a box, and he wouldn't sell me more, says people are scalping. The regime is also causing the banks to not loan to gun stores, so the big guys will have a monopoly, and the prices will go up even further. While I was in the store, checked on a 73 Springfield he had on the rack. The price was $1,000, for a trap door like I could buy in the 50's all day long for $25 to $35. He also had a 34-40 Krag, cherry military for $1,900. YIKES. I wanted a box of 250 Savage, non available locally. Seems like any of the old time cartridges just aren't being loaded anymore, 25-35 is also impossible. 7mm magnum was also not available at any price, and believe it on not, .30-30 were none to be had. Lots of military calibers, and loads of pistol and shotgun ammo. Looks like the kids are getting something besides ammo for Christmas.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't have that dangerous lead stuff in a bullet now, can we....:laughing7:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Where did you hear that, email, or a good source. I've heard the ammo companies are turning it out like usual, but it's being hoarded and bought up. Don't know the truth of that though, yours makes more sense. I bought a couple of boxes of .22's yesterday for Christmas presents, only found them in one store, and it cost 3.95 a box, and he wouldn't sell me more, says people are scalping. The regime is also causing the banks to not loan to gun stores, so the big guys will have a monopoly, and the prices will go up even further. While I was in the store, checked on a 73 Springfield he had on the rack. The price was $1,000, for a trap door like I could buy in the 50's all day long for $25 to $35. He also had a 34-40 Krag, cherry military for $1,900. YIKES. I wanted a box of 250 Savage, non available locally. Seems like any of the old time cartridges just aren't being loaded anymore, 25-35 is also impossible. 7mm magnum was also not available at any price, and believe it on not, .30-30 were none to be had. Lots of military calibers, and loads of pistol and shotgun ammo. Looks like the kids are getting something besides ammo for Christmas.

It's in the omnibus funding bill, if they don't change it before it comes up for a vote. I saw 7MM rem mag in Cheaper than dirt Cat a few weeks ago. I have an AK that shoots .410 shot and slug loads. There is some wild ammo available for it. Like some with multiple 9mm lead balls backed up with shot. I also have a Texas Defender from Bond arms that takes the same ammo. For reaching out and touching something I have a .22-250. It will pierce the new Hum V armor plate. I made a spinning target out of some. The bullet went thru before it could spin. Hay 4000 FPS gets thru a soda can before it can move. They just sit there. You have to fill them with water so they will fall. Frank five star.png
Y  cannons.jpg

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Commence fire, Frank View attachment 1090506

I can readily believe this instead of Guns and Ammo's explanation of more people buying so it created a shortage. Thanks for posting...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of lead. I dig pounds of it over a year metal detecting. I melted some last year and mixed it with tin to produce casting metal. I have 11 pound of tin, lead and beryllium for casting. I need to melt them into half lb ingots and sell to make some money back. I have another 15 lbs of just dirty, raw lead. I need to find someone who needs to make bullets and just give it to them.

Yep, I remember when you could get surplus military rifles for $50. I have a K98 that I paid $75 for it. It has all the same serial number parts. Unfortunately it was partially sporterized. It was a steal at even that price 25 years ago. I would like to get one in original condition.

I remember you could buy SKSs for $50 all day. I thought they were too expensive even back then for the quality. I remember one store selling them by the case and you could literally give them the cash and walk out without a background check and close the tail gate. I wished I had bought a few wooden cases of them. I bought a carbine SKS for $120 when the Brady bill was still on the floor. I remember that the prices went from $60 to over $100 or more overnight because of the panic.

I didn't know there was a panic on ammo and I went to the store to pick up a few boxes of .22 and even shotgun slugs and they were non-existent. I finally got my hands on 500 rounds for $80 and I was happy. Feel stupid now for paying that much, but they were good bullets. I think I had one dud in all those rounds and I believe it was because my Ruger pistol didn't completely chamber it.

I'm sitting on about 100 rounds of .22 in case I have to kill a few varmints to survive. I refuse to buy more and give into the scare. Just like I personally boycotted Wal-mart, Opec gas stations and Starbucks. Doesn't probably make a difference, but I feel a little better about myself at the end of the day. My feelings are that you can gripe about the state of affairs all you want, but if your don't do something about it than shut up. Just like griping about the president, but not voting.

Speaking of EPA, I would like to believe it is all about the environment. Before I was disabled from the federal government, I was highly involved in environmental issues at my facility and I started to realize that the motivation for this agency unfortunately a lot of times doesn't really have to do with the environment, but they are influenced heavily by increasing cash flow and special interests. Consider gas cans and how they don't work properly and cost 4 times as much. They are supposedly designed to lock out fumes from going into the atmosphere, but I end up spilling at least a pint every time I use them. I have bought 5 different designs over the years and none of them work correctly.

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I paid $20 for 325 rounds of 22LR at Bass Pro a few weeks back. The hoarders camp out in the sporting goods section at WalMart to buy it up the instant it hits the shelves, but they seem to be scared of Bass Pro and shy away from the place.

My girlfriend likes to shoot her 22, so I'll probably buy her a box or two for Christmas.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
POINTMAN, Yea, those new gas spouts are really bad and inefficient. They sell replacement 'old style' spouts to put on them though.
Frank five star.png

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Picked up some pmc .223 at cabela's the other day for $6.37 a box. Cheapest I've seen in years. Hopefully the trend continues and we get .22 back in stock at $8.99 for a box of 550 lol.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Picked up some pmc .223 at cabela's the other day for $6.37 a box. Cheapest I've seen in years. Hopefully the trend continues and we get .22 back in stock at $8.99 for a box of 550 lol.

Yea, as soon as the inventories build up, the price will return to normal. Frank five star.png
Elvis and Blues.jpg Just have to sit and wait a while.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Consider gas cans and how they don't work properly and cost 4 times as much. They are supposedly designed to lock out fumes from going into the atmosphere, but I end up spilling at least a pint every time I use them. I have bought 5 different designs over the years and none of them work correctly.

You said it. It is IMPOSSIBLE to fill a chainsaw with one of those burp-prevention or whatever spring loaded nozzles without putting half on the ground and all over the case.

I am riding down my supply of factory loaded ammo and have a goodly supply of powder, primers & bullets for the few cartridge arms I still shoot. I've switched heavily over to traditional archery (1960's recurves) and flintlock muzzleloaders. 25 years ago I was shooting PPC and doing more centerfire varmint hunting and I probably had 15,000 rounds in the house. I'd fire 200 to 250 rounds in a good weekend.

I have two unopened 440 round SPAM cans of Czech 7.62 x 54R and several partials in the closet and a couple Mosins I pull out for fun 300 yard plinking occasionally. I miss the days I could get those surplus cans in the mail.

I think I paid $60 for this Sako barrelled M39. Some time ago. ;-)

004_02.jpg

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I paid $20 for 325 rounds of 22LR at Bass Pro a few weeks back. The hoarders camp out in the sporting goods section at WalMart to buy it up the instant it hits the shelves, but they seem to be scared of Bass Pro and shy away from the place.

My girlfriend likes to shoot her 22, so I'll probably buy her a box or two for Christmas.

Here is my theory of why:

There is a little too much effort to walk around the aisles to go and camp out at Bass Pro for hoarders, plus workers will ask you if you need help. While your at Wal-Mart getting toothpaste you can eyeball the box of ammo coming out of the back of sporting goods about to make its way to the shelf. Takes too much effort to buy and scalp .22 ammo if you buy at some places.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The shortage is pretty much over. I belong to multiple gun forums and the story about it having to do with the lead is hogwash. It had to do with the panic caused right after the Sandy Hook shooting causing people to start hoarding it and then the scalpers who buy all they can find to resell at the local flea market. Add the fact that gun sales are at an all time high and new buyers need to be able to feed their new purchases. It's out there but you might have to look a little harder. You can always roll your own and save a few bucks as well..

Attachments

• IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    850.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    746.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Bill Goodman Gun & Knife Show" is local this weekend. I hope to attend, simply to verify ammo shortages. This thread has intrigued me. Thanks Frankn.
I even had a discussion concerning this thread today with a local store owner. He stated how hard it is to find 22 rounds? Yes folks, 22's are extremely dangerous.
As stated here and elsewhere, I'm not a "gun guy". Although, I'm a firm believer in rights to own. Not just guns, but whatever a law abiding adult chooses to.
Albeit, I can protect myself and property.
I purchased a few rounds for a handgun recently and noticed a nearly doubled price, from only months before?
What stance does the NRA take on this?
Peace ✌
P.S. I have zero intent on this reply being or becoming "political".

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I melt lead and cast my own bullets, I have been doing it for a few years now. It really saves on the cost of ammo. Problem is, finding powder and primers has been a challenge. As previously mentioned, people are buying and hoarding.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said it. It is IMPOSSIBLE to fill a chainsaw with one of those burp-prevention or whatever spring loaded nozzles without putting half on the ground and all over the case.

I am riding down my supply of factory loaded ammo and have a goodly supply of powder, primers & bullets for the few cartridge arms I still shoot. I've switched heavily over to traditional archery (1960's recurves) and flintlock muzzleloaders. 25 years ago I was shooting PPC and doing more centerfire varmint hunting and I probably had 15,000 rounds in the house. I'd fire 200 to 250 rounds in a good weekend.

I have two unopened 440 round SPAM cans of Czech 7.62 x 54R and several partials in the closet and a couple Mosins I pull out for fun 300 yard plinking occasionally. I miss the days I could get those surplus cans in the mail.

I think I paid $60 for this Sako barrelled M39. Some time ago. ;-)

View attachment 1090920

Yes! Traditional archery, do you shoot modern arrows? I'am getting into recurve hunting, with a long reach I'am having trouble finding a vintage bow with that "extra" flex...as recurves are rated at 28#. 32" draw is pushing it. They pinch & stack, or break. I'm looking at modern take downs.

.22 ammo. I do a lot of varmit hunting, target shooting and plinking. .22's are perfect for that, but I don't hoard the ammo.

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shot American Archer target competition as a teen, traditional. Did well at 50yrds.
My preferred bow was/is made by Mathew's. Some of their early recurvs are stunning and have respectable pull. 55- 65lb.
Handcrafted longbows' are my favorite. Beautiful, powerful, yet very expensive.
I even purchased a "Ten Point" crossbow last year. Awesome! Not much skill needed w crossbows though. IMHO
Archery �� is a true skill.
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread