Rich Copper Deposites in South Mississippi?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While reading an old history book pertaining to the French lands in present day Mississippi and Louisiana I came across this reference by the author:

All this distress, of which I was a witness at Biloxi, determined me to make an excursion a few leagues on the coast, in order to pass some days with a friend, who received me with pleasure. We mounted horse to visit the interior part of the country a few leagues from the sea. I found the fields pleasant enough, but less fertile than along the Missisippi; as they have some resemblance of the neighbouring coast, which has scarce any other plants but pines, that run a great way, and some red and white cedars.

When we came to the plain, I carefully searched every spot that I thought worth my attention. In consequence of the search I found two mines of copper, whose metal plainly appeared above ground. They stood about half a league asunder. We may justly conclude that they are very rich, as they thus disclose themselves on the surface of the earth.

When I had made a sufficient excursion, and judged I could find nothing further to satisfy my curiosity, I returned to Biloxi,

This is the first such mention of copper in Mississippi that I've ever found. Finding this info was more surprising than the mention of gold flakes being found a certain creek in westcentral Mississippi, that I came across last year.

I just posted a map, in the Mississippi Map section, to accompany this post. It's from the same book that this quote came from. Question: What was the distance represented by a league in 1780 France?

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info, Bullbarrel. Now, if some of our TNeters in that area get interested, they could conceiveably strike a line of approx. 25 miles from the coastline; measured from different points on the coast, and have a search area in which to hunt for that copper deposit.
For anyone wondering WHY; the value of rich copper chunks can vary from good to very, very good. A piece of copper-rich rock can be processed in Nitric Acid to eat away the rock; leaving the copper in a beautiful specimen piece with high collectors values. That's also how gold laced rocks are processed to become very valuable specimen pieces for display. This technique can turn a piece of rock with $500 worth of raw gold into a $3000 display specimen. This can be duplicated with copper ore.
In addition, it is not unusual to find gold in copper deposits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread