redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had a lot of traffic on TNET lately from Jackson to coast, with everyone trying to either find a place or someone to hunt with. A couple of MDers have asked about trying to put together a MD club/group, wanted to see what ya'll thought - who would be interested. I know its hard for everyone to have the same days free or be able to travel to every location but I think it could be a good way to plan, share info and hunt. Really not looking for a non-profit club with all kinds of rules and a bunch officers and duties. More of a loose knit group who want to hunt, plan some good hunts, research and share locations, have a name and with some type of organization. Not sure about all the details as far as having meetings and other club stuff but that can be worked out. I would like to meet, share some info and plan on hunting some good spots. Just wanted to see if anyone else would be interested.

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in! I have thought for a long time now that southern MS needs to get a group/club together. (For all of the reasons that you stated)

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try to do something about the 50-80, at least spring is just around the corner. Trying to work on some places and get access, I know we want to go to Shelby again, still a lot of ground to cover. Slow on finds but neat stuff. I wouldn't mind coming your way either, find some more dump trucks to follow. Got some info on old school locations and cc camps. Just need to map them out and see if we can find land owners. Also looking at going to some of the old towns that the highways have passed by, knock on some doors and see what we can do.

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bronco. Man if you want to go knock on some doors I would be glad to go with, I may actually go out and try a few this weekend

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, been thinking some more, yes I know its dangerous. But let me know what ya'll think on this. South Mississippi Relic Hunters. A group open to any one who likes to metal detect, no dues, try monthly meeting to plan hunts, share info, etc. Have a data base of member contacts, know a few folks who don't computer but who like to MD and could be phoned. Treasuenet is great and a good way to plan, share and find new MDers but somethings don't need to hit the interweb, until later. Wink, Wink. Anyway, just thought it would be good to try and organize a good group of MDers who enjoy the hobby.

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Sold out...gone fishing...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure how far this idea has gone but I would like to see it happen. If it already has let me know how to get involved...

Cecil

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how far this idea has gone but I would like to see it happen. If it already has let me know how to get involved...

Cecil

We are getting it started, we have a group of 5-7 right now, we are actually getting some tee shirts made, it is a pretty loose "club" we don't have any officers or anything like that, just a group of people. You
are welcome to join us anytime.

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like Jblack said, we have a nice group started and want to keep it informal and fun. Seen to many "clubs" get bogged down in officers, rules, dues, etc. Anyone is welcome to join in the hunts or plan a hunt. Someone gets a spot and invites the rest of the group, you are the "huntmaster" and we will follow your lead. With everyone researching and trying to get permission, we can cover more areas. Great to see so many local MDers (Jackson to the Coast) sharing info, finds and wanting to get together and hunt.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a relatively "new" member to the group, and I agree about not making it too "official".
I like the idea of no officers, dues, etc.
I also like the idea that we all do agree to uphold the treasure hunter/metal detecting code of ethics:
Code of Ethics

thisgrlsjourney

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2015
simpson county, MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's the club?

I am a relatively "new" member to the group, and I agree about not making it too "official".
I like the idea of no officers, dues, etc.
I also like the idea that we all do agree to uphold the treasure hunter/metal detecting code of ethics:
Code of Ethics

I'm completely wet behind the ears, bought a detector years ago, it's probably completely outdated now, and never really got to use it.
Just moved back to MS fm the big city, and would love an opportunity to treasure hunt, with some pros....I'm in Simpson county...Any info would be great!

thisgrlsjourney

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2015
simpson county, MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever happened to the treasure hunting around Vicksburg? When I was a kid, people could dig outside the park, in the open bluff hills, often finding artifacts. Took my daughter to Vicksburg, a couple of years ago and was disappointed at the changes made, all the old artifacts had been moved to a museum at the Capitol, and what was left was the erected battleship, which was interesting, but nothing like when I was a kid...sigh....it's always better as a kid they say. I'm also wondering if anyone has done any research on old plantations, ones long since gone. I've done quite a bit of genealogy research over the last 20 plus years and have read of plantations and farms no longer standing, for maybe 100 years or more....what about Monticello? One of the first settled and old areas in south MS? Also factories...many old factories that were in operation in the late 1880s and early 1900s. I've been wondering if researching land plats along with old land tax records would lead to some unknown places not thought of before, besides the usual fair grounds, etc...or old churches? What is the laws concerning this prospects, other than permission from the current owners?

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Journey, with you being in Simpson Co., you are not too far from us. You are welcome to join us anytime. Tnet is great, a lot of info, new MDers, lining up a hunt, etc. So much history in Mississippi, so much research being done, which means a lot of places to think about going. Federal properties - off limits, state properties - yes & no, city properties - usually ok but best to try and check with someone before digging. Private property - always ask for permission, worst we've heard is no but had a lot of OKs. Better than trying to explain to the police, they are actually a good source to find somewhere to go. Had some of them stop by and see if we are doing any good. Vicksburg has been hit so hard over the years and it has built up so much, getting tough to find a good spot but still want to go and see what we can do. Simpson county with Magee and Mendenhall, should have a bunch of good places. Need to talk to some of the older folks, they can give you good intell. Think everyone has been busy the last two weekends so about time to line something up. Hope to post something first of the week to set-up a Saturday hunt.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Id be interested in a MD club.
As long as meetings aren't mandatory.
It would be hard for me to take a 1.5hr drive monthly for a meeting.
Looking forward to meeting up with you guys again and doing some detecting.
Cant wait for cooler weather.

Got in a couple short hunts today. Scored a 1940 merc and 3 Wheaties...

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id be interested in a MD club.
As long as meetings aren't mandatory.
It would be hard for me to take a 1.5hr drive monthly for a meeting.
Looking forward to meeting up with you guys again and doing some detecting.
Cant wait for cooler weather.

Got in a couple short hunts today. Scored a 1940 merc and 3 Wheaties...

I say we meet in the middle some time and lets all do lunch

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I say we meet in the middle some time and lets all do lunch
Sounds good to me, or even a meet and hunt or hunt and meet sometimes.
Some way to be active, but possibly not have to make every meeting.
I hope im not taking the steam out of the meetings, and I hope you understand, if I lived closer meetings wouldn't be such an issue for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like what we have been doing. Talking and planning on TNET, meet early for a biscuit, talk, then hunt. It would be nice to have meetings if we were all 5 miles away from each other but being scattered, each person knows their area and people, so finding good spots to hunt is easier, sort of. We everyone on the forum, most of the lower half of the state is covered except for a few areas. The weather will be getting right shortly, so get some fresh batteries, I think we are going to get busy.

thisgrlsjourney

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2015
simpson county, MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the welcome! I have much to study on this site; and much to learn! I just moved back here, and much to do, so if you are planning anything in October, I sure would like an opportunity to get my feet wet. Have you guys considered doing a face book page? The reason I ask is it is much easier to receive messages via FB than this huge sit and all the info being posted. At least with FB you can receive updates faster, without weeding through the massive postings on TNET. Just a thought. I think by October I'll be caught up. And I'm thinking of maybe getting a new detector, which I can see on this site, I have a whole lot of reading to do...before getting more opinions.

thisgrlsjourney

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2015
simpson county, MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work a lot, so the idea of an relaxed club, is the only way I can commit; so if it's been mainly guys, I won't cramp your style too often, hence it would be a hit or miss chance for me. I'll get my feet wet in home stomping grounds, and brush up on my skills.

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a FB page - South Mississippi Relic Team. Update when we can. You can use the TNET private message, under Notifications at the upper tool bar, it works good. If we had style, I am sure you wouldn't cramp it. Had kids come dig and Muerte33's wife too, she's cool. Hope to have several spots lined up by the time it gets cooler, so open invitation. Best way to get experience, is to hunt and dig. Learn the detector, the sounds, how it reacts to different soil, what targets are good and what is bypass trash. Come down sometime and you can try other detectors and see what works for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread