OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I replied, but in my rush to get out of the house I must not have hit the post button.
Civil War: All along the old railroad tracks, especially at water crossings. During the CW, the armies moved along the rail lines, and usually made camp near fresh water. The one most used in your area was running east to west along the old Southern Mississippi Railroad.
Outlaws: Adams, Calhoun, Claiborne, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Sunflower, and Warren Counties.
Indians: I live on an Indian Mound, High in the center with a ring mound running around it, like a bulls eye, but don't dry to dig here, my wife will shoot you. She has a nice collection. My brothers mound is shaped like a horses head, I say a dear head, as seen from the sky. Indians needed several things, height to stay dry, water to drink and usually travel. Just about every high ground was used by the Indians. Also rivers and streams for fishing and travel.

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You arenthe man..I cant wait to start checking areas out that you locate sir

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace, I had an atlas of civil was sites that showed the locations on a current street map. I lost it and a lot of other stuff in Katrina. I have been trying to find one ever since. It was from a group trying to preserve Civil War sites. I will try again to find it but check what I have. "I shall return" Douglas MacArthur

Jackson 1.png Jackson 2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace, give us a location and what kind of hunting you do and we will give it our best shot.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace I posted the CW maps I have of Jackson. Did I tell you to check in the "Club & Hunt" section? The last time I looked there were a lot of people trying to form clubs in your area and looking for hunting partners. Your best shot of finding CW relics are along the old railroad tracks at water crossings. Both sides in the CW posted sentries at all water crossings to keep anyone from destroying the bridges. The crossings were not where they are today but were very close. Today's RR's tend to have less curves to improve the speed and reduce derailing the train. Most troops moved along or near the old roads for speed, only a few rode the train. To find the old roads you need to walk into the woods and find the ruts made by people, animals and wagons. I have hunted along some of these old roads and you should know it when you find one. People would make camp just off the road and usually bury their valuables away from the camp because of the highwaymen who roamed the roads at night. Good Luck

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Ace. Is it gold plated? Some of the V nickles were gold plated and passed a New $5.00, gold peaces, known as Counter-fitters Nickles.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I good news: Today 9/18/17, I read an articular that stated the Trump administration is trying to role back the land grabs of the Democrat administrations and restore our uses of our land to us. There may be a future for Treasure Hunters yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gitschlag

Aug 7, 2011
Brandon, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter MkII, Minelab Xterra70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I get back from Florida, I'll be in the Jackson, Ms area and would not mind a hunting partner or two to check out spots around town that are in less than optimal areas. Any and all maps from Johnny would be super helpful! Local hunters feel free to send me a PM and maybe we can get together.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Git, My memory is shot full of holes, as far as the CW maps, they are listed by the officer in charge, the Union name of the battle, the largest city or a prominent location. Do you know any of those that could help. The larger atlases have the best details, but they are down stairs.

P.S. I found the information I needed in a smaller atlas, when I can get down stairs I will bring up a larger one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Git, I have no CW maps for that area. I did come across some information about Clinton, during the CW General Grieson routed out some Confederate deserters from a position ten miles north of Clinton. Later Colonial Lee, routed some twenty miles north of Clinton. Horses did not have odometers so I guess it was a guesstament. The Parish Clerk of Court may have maps of the area.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Git, I would think that the road to Jackson would have been close to highway 10. When new roads are put in they usually use the old to transport the material to the site were they are working and not interrupt the flow of traffic.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have a new set of Louisiana maps on Monday.

P.S. Maps arrived today, if you are looking for the old Jackson to Clinton road in Louisiana the old road should be just north of Hwy 10. If you would like some treasure leads for that area, let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be some sites in the area of Billy Goat Road and Wilson-Clinton Rd, there should be some springs in the area north of the junction. I do not think the names have been changed, but there were at least two small battles in that area, as I recall. Please keep me posted.

DonH

Nov 16, 2017
Perkinston MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Johnny. My wife and I just moved to Perkinston MS and would love to find a club or folks to hunt with in the area. We have no idea where to start here in Mississippi. Do you know of any clubs nearby? Thank you Johnny

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no longer active, but there are quite a few clubs in the area and I am sure you will find one that id just right for you. good luck/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions