Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Apr 2007
    Joplin, MO
    Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
    1 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Barry County Treasure Cave

This month's Lost Treasure magazine has an article of a lost silver mine in Barry county. This could tie in with the discussions in this forum of lost Spanish silver around the Springfield and Joplin area. Enjoy the article.

us
    "WP"

May 2005
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    White's IDX Pro, Vibraprobe 570, Minelab Explorer XS w/ Sunray X-1 Probe & Sunray Stealth X-12 DD Coil
    122 times
    History, Metal Detecting, and Survival & Self-Sufficiency

Re: Barry County Treasure Cave

Except some people swear that there aren't any silver mines around here... they were all lead mines mistaken for silver.
    Maybe the Spanish made lead bars and were transporting that??

Bran <><
    Rom. 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

Rom. 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    3933 times

silver and lead co-mingel in their natural state. gold is often a biproduct of these lead mines here in good ole Misery! the St. Joe lead mine in SE mo back in the 1930s was getting gold(and still is) from the 2000 foot level of their mine.if you look up certain mines youll see that they have a list of the most common minerals they get (1,2,3,4) even in the iron mines theyre getting gold. it maybe the 3rd or 4th common mineral but they AINT throwing it away! the yalso dont talk about what else theyre finding.my wifes family worked/lives down there.most of them are retired now.

us
    Lookit Tha Size O' Those Hog-Mollies!!!

Jan 2009
    SW MO
    Garrett AT Pro/ Minelab X-Terra70/White's 5900 Di Pro SL/Garrett ACE 250/Fisher M-Scope 1280-X/B.H. Pioneer 505
    68 times

kind of makes me wonder about my hometown. Granby, Mo. "Oldest Zinc and Lead Mining Town in the Southwest", (says so on our water tower) ...Founded in 1850. lots of history here. Most of the mines never went below 100 feet...kinda makes you wonder if the gold is a little lower.

Feb 2006
    Deep in the Ozark Mountains
    Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
    59 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by lairmo
    kind of makes me wonder about my hometown. Granby, Mo. "Oldest Zinc and Lead Mining Town in the Southwest", (says so on our water tower) ...Founded in 1850. lots of history here. Most of the mines never went below 100 feet...kinda makes you wonder if the gold is a little lower.
    You lived in a town full of history...I know of guys who have found lead ingots detecting around Granby....Have you had any luck there?...Steve

pippinwhitepaws

Granby, Mo. "Oldest Zinc and Lead Mining Town in the Southwest"

wrong side of the rockies to be the southwest.

us
    Lookit Tha Size O' Those Hog-Mollies!!!

Jan 2009
    SW MO
    Garrett AT Pro/ Minelab X-Terra70/White's 5900 Di Pro SL/Garrett ACE 250/Fisher M-Scope 1280-X/B.H. Pioneer 505
    68 times

Quote Originally Posted by pippinwhitepaws
    Granby, Mo. "Oldest Zinc and Lead Mining Town in the Southwest"

wrong side of the rockies to be the southwest.
    Well, this was the southwest before that was America...LOL

quote:You lived in a town full of history...I know of guys who have found lead ingots detecting around Granby....Have you had any luck there?...Steve

Lot's of lead that's for sure...Found a CW campsite by accident a few years back..some of the finds are posted in MY BEST FINDS under Pre/post Civil War Camp

us
    Feb 2010
    granby, mo.
    fisher 1266x

Hi, I just joined up here, and I also live in Granby! I know this is an old post, but if you're still around, maybe we can compare notes, or hunt together sometime.
    Russ

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links