Missouri gold coins into an iron pot Lead, You do the research, Good Luck !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[NI007614] William and Jane moved to Missouri before 1840 and can be found on the census for that year, in Pulaski County, Missouri, which was later divided into Wright and Webster County. During the 1850's William's brothers, Eli, John, and Soloman moved to Missouri near William. William enlisted in the Civil War (UNION). Jane was left to care for the family and farm. At this time, the raiders were coming into Missouri, burning, looting, and destroying all they came to and just taking all livestock they found. Jane, in order to save something out of it, sold all their livestock. She put the gold coins into an iron pot and buried it, not telling anyone where the money was at. One night she suddenly became sick and died, nobody knew where the money was hidden. The gold coins were never found.

3/4 down page

Notes

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
This would be a good one to try a magnet on a string ,I read it somewhere that the oldtimers used this to find iron pots hidden,I imagine the pot was probley a dutch oven.

spghollow

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2013
Mo. Ozarks
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new at this, but how do you do the research on something like this. As I said I am new. Thank you

neighbors75

May 5, 2012
Ironton, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX III,

Garrett Ultra GTA 1000,

Whites coinmaster classic.

Whites Coinmaster 2/D TR- Discriminator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff of PA,

Looking at the info you have shared, do you know what the last name of William and Jane is. Looked at the notes yet could not figure it out.

neighbors75

May 5, 2012
Ironton, Missouri
Detector(s) used

Garrett Ultra GTA 1000,

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the 1840 census, I found nothing close no william and jane whatever. Having a complete name or the right name helps. such as william what what, or what jane what. COuld not find them on the 1860 census nor williams brothers. In and before 1840 pulaski county was a huge area and eventually wright and webster counties where created by 1856 and even then pulaski county would be sliced off to create additional counties. Now do we check the 1860 census for wright and webster counties. they are closer to the arkansas border and in the buswackers range. Also no Yoders and only two william weavers no jane. Any thoughts..!

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
If you read the story on past it speaks of william brothers one of which was named solomon with last name given as weaver and janes maiden name might of been watters I have just started researching and am new at it so I could be way off base.there is also a story about 60 thousand dollars of buried 49ers gold somewhere along the gasconade river in pulaski county dont have much info on this legend either good luck happy huntin

neighbors75

May 5, 2012
Ironton, Missouri
Detector(s) used

Garrett Ultra GTA 1000,

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard this story as well... about a lost miners catch of gold.

neighbors75

May 5, 2012
Ironton, Missouri
Detector(s) used

Garrett Ultra GTA 1000,

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well guys,

I found William, Jane, Eli, John, Solomon in the 1860 census their last name is weaver for sure. The search continues....!

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I talked with a lady today who said she had heard of the weaver place and is in the process of getting what might be location to the old home site fingers crossed as I live in pulaski county hopefully if location is found can get permission to hunt have great day all happy huntin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions