Montevallo

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
When Wesley Ball moved to Missouri he was fairly well-to-do. Since he had served in the Mexican War, the government had given him forty acres to which he added another 660 acres and built a new home. Before the war broke out he had hired men to help him with the farming and livestock.

When the war began, he joined the old Montevallo Confederacy Regiment

Many people wanted to protect their wealth during the war by putting valuables or money away. Lieutenant Ball was one of these people. "He was supposed to have buried a metal box of gold coins on their place before he went to war, but he never told anyone where he buried it. And long years after the war people would go there and dig. The story got out. I suppose my grandmother must have told it.

Ball – Wesley L. and Emma Ball came to Sec. 10 Vergil Twp. In late 1850’s or early 60’s. He was killed in 62. Emma’s brother was J.M. Stanley. West half of Sec. 10 shows Ball and Stanley, also E. Robertson. Emma remarried in 1870 to and E.W. Robertson, so I believe all of this is part of estate. Ball left 200 acres to my minor great-grandmother Matilda Jane. I believe he had 700-800 acres
http://www.bushwhacker.org/genealogicalinquiriesrecent1.html

Attachments

• vernon_mo.jpg
    vernon_mo.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 588

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh... thanks Gyps... ;)

Bran <><

Jul 11, 2008
Neosho,Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac ,Tesoro cibola
godisnum1 said:
Huh... thanks Gyps... ;)

Bran <><

One of my friends has sole access to the old Montevallo that was burnt during the civil war.
He searched for it for two years.
I have some maps that show both towns,old and new.

LabradorBob

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LabradorBob (Missouri) said:
godisnum1 said:
Huh... thanks Gyps... ;)

Bran <><

One of my friends has sole access to the old Montevallo that was burnt during the civil war.
He searched for it for two years.
I have some maps that show both towns,old and new.

LabradorBob

That's pretty cool... though my comment was from 3 years ago. :wink:
I've since finished college in Springfield and moved back to Florida, but I go up to Springfield semi-frequently to see my girlfriend.
I bet that site has some real potential!!
I just found out tonight that my girlfriend's pastor has tons of acres of land right on the Wilson Creek Battlefield site that's never had a detector over it during the 7 years that they've lived there.
Looks like I'll have another place to hunt when I go up next time. :)

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Heart said:
Take me with!

Heh, you better believe I will! You know you and the girls always have an open invitation if I'm ever detecting up there... :wink:

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
Being just an hour away,I make a great 'sit and supervise' person.

Well whenever I'm able to come up there to detect this place, you can come along as well. :)
Hannah's dad is the Associate Pastor at their church, and it's the Lead Pastor's property... so I'm sure it won't be a big deal.

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread