mding a old cemetery sight

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.
This same thing has been asked alot over the years... and the answer is always "Yes" :wink:

Bran <><

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detecting in any kind of grave yard is a NO NO bad karma, illegal and down rite bad pr for us detectorists...think of it this way, how would you feel if you saw someone digging a hole on your mothers grave? would kinda peeve ya off big time. regardless of the age of the graveyard..its a NO NO off limits .

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Just do a search on this topic. I know it has been covered over and over and over again.

In my opinion it is BAD BAD BAD form to detect in a cemetery.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Here is a viewpoint...

A family buys a plot and buries their mother, after the burial they realize that a special ring was not buried with her. In order to serve her wishes they place it in the ground next to her headstone.

Now a md'er comes along and takes the ring that was placed there.

1. The plot of ground was legally purchased, therefore could be viewed as private property.
2. The ring is not theirs for the taking, therefore it could be looked upon as a theft
3. The wishes of the mother are no longer honored.

When it was put to me this way, it reinforces my belief that md'ing cemeteries is off limits. A cemetery is considered hallowed ground. Many cultures honor their dead in their resting place. Should we show disrespect? Some give an excuse that archies dig up burial sites all the time and use this to justify it in their own action. I suppose that a cemetery that is abandoned for a thousand years would be different than one where burials are as recent as a couple hundred years. I for one view it as disrespectful and displays a bad image to those of us that are trying to keep the hobby from being banned altogether. All it takes is one bad incident to lose the hobby we enjoy. Plus you go messing with the dead it's bad karma.

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Here is a quick story. I was mding around our old fairgrounds and I wandered off into a small patch of woods started finding lots of coins. Till I tripped over a old grave. Turns out there were near 20 graves there from the 1700's. I kept what coins I found up to that point. But I also started setting the tombstones back upright. I went to see the mayor because the tombs where on city property. He was unaware of its even being there. He called the courthouse and they were unaware. I told him I would like it cleaned up since it is on city property. And I would be willing to help. Been 3 days now and im waiting to hear something. last thing I was told was he had to make sure it is on city property.

OP
OP
olepossum

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
was just curious about yalls opinion i wouldnt do it bad stuff just taking a poll there is a old one here in town that has been moved i have thought about going around the outside on the walk ways

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Metal detecting cemetaries and graveyards is frowned on be the general public and other people that detect for a hobby. I would not do it.

2yuccas

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2008
What if you wanted to md around an old church, which also happens to have a cemetery on two sides of it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread