Zortman, Bozeman

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was curious of anyone makes it to the Zortman area, it aint to far away and thought I may head that way in the spring for a week or so.

Was also curious about the area south of bozeman towards chico, have read some historical accounts of the area, but was looking for some more timely information lol. I have often thought while fishing the Yellowstone around emigrant I would rather have a pan in hand!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand there is flour gold in the Yellowstone clear down to around Columbus. You are going to have to dig deep down to bedrock to really get some good color. Up in the mountains along Emigrant Gulch near Chico gold was discovered in 1862.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the GPAA has a claim or two near the Zortman mine.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks old Digger, I know the folks at the garage/motel had some claims, thought I may give them a call for a little digging this summer.

Reb, Sounds like I need to visit Howie lol! Montana in many ways has made it hard to hunt anymore, and my pal and I decided we are going to just head up into some mountains with a general tag this fall and hunt for about a week instead of trying to draw for an area closer.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks old Digger, I know the folks at the garage/motel had some claims, thought I may give them a call for a little digging this summer. Reb, Sounds like I need to visit Howie lol! Montana in many ways has made it hard to hunt anymore, and my pal and I decided we are going to just head up into some mountains with a general tag this fall and hunt for about a week instead of trying to draw for an area closer.

HA! BAD news is that Howie had FOOL'S GOLD (Pyrite)! HH!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Yeah Hillbilly Zortman is a cool place. John and his wife are great hosts. GPPA had Outing and
we got to do grunt work for the dredge. Before leaving I dug a bucket to bring home, it was
full of garnets. That is near the camp.

Hey Reb :coffee2: Good on ya brother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread