The Tacoma times. (Tacoma, Wash.), 17 June 1904

interesting as Kid Curry, Died: June 17, 1904, Parachute, CO

Untitled.jpg
Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

"Scattered Coins Hmmm"

More:
The Tacoma times. (Tacoma, Wash.) 1903-1949, June 17, 1904, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Last edited:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting reads but the one article from Fort Benton in 1907 is relaying information from folks out of Knoxville, Tennessee and states "the latter(meaning police officers) doubt the identity because if truly was Curry, he would not have stayed around more than 5 minutes unless behind bars." The article even goes on further to state he broke out of jail back in 1903 and has "never been definitely located since."

To me if just seems like rumors to fill up the paper. Plus back in those days I'm sure information was a little harder to verify. But I'm not sure why the paper out of Fort Benton would print something like this to begin with. Even though Curry created havoc in Montana, he broke out of jail in Knoxville, Tennessee and yet was killed in Parachute, Colorado. If nothing else, perhaps it was to inform the people of Montana that Curry was indeed dead even though it was 3 years after the fact.

But it does make one wonder who the individual was in 1907 Tennessee?

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks jeff

mindcrime1988
i read the samething like that also .

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Identified in Tennessee from bullet scars received in shoot out with Pinkerton agency at Lavinia Montana area from what I have read.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The Northern Pacific line did run through Bearmouth. There was not one, but two, train robberies that took place here. The one this story deals with happened on June 16, 1904. It became known as the Second Great Bearmouth Train Robbery. Kid Curry and none of his gang were involved. Never came across the dog in the story before.
Later there was even a third robbery which is pretty interesting.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the shoot out in Lavinia was 1898

If I remember correctly he was captured with some of the gang and taken back to S.D. for the B Forche bank robbery there, but escape that jail pretty fast. That's how they knew about the bullet wounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread