spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this was Ken Wahl's first staring role. Anyway, the movie was special to me as most of it was filmed in my Bronx, Fordham neighborhood. Although I'm not big into the most 50's an some 60's doo-wop music, the soundtrack to this movie just fit perfectly.

I couldn't post some of the classic scenes to profanities strewn throughout them. Filmed in the late 70's it did catch the essence of NY in the 60's. It was great fun especially when you know the area like the back of your hand :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Can't believe no comments on this one mate!...a classic and some real funny parts. :wink:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! I have this movie right now from Netflix! Can't wait to see it again. On the list to watch tomorrow. In the same vein there was The Lords of Flatbush and Paradise Alley (just rented both recently). Childhood memories (of watching them on TV).

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, been meaning to put that in my queue too, keep forgetting. That one was a little more freaky though, set in tougher times.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Warriors :icon_scratch: That was nothing more than a B comedy. AT least the Wanderers had a little bit of grit :tongue3:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Spart-just finished The Wanderers and really enjoyed it after not seeing it for like 20 years (funny how certain scenes come back to you like you saw them yesterday-Karen Allen really annoys me). So they had the Italians (yay), the Irish, the Blacks, the Asians, etc. Who/what were the Ducky Boys supposed to be? I have the book (as well as The Lords of Flatbush and The Warriors : ), but am too lazy to go look it up......

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm glad you enjoyed again Catobra :laughing7:

FYI, when I grew up in many of these areas in the Bronx the main nationalities were always Irish, and Italian. OF course the biggest exception to this rule was the South Bronx, and I was definitely a foreigner there and stuck out like a sore thumb :laughing7:

As for the Ducky Boys read this

The Ducky Boys gang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Bronx in the 60's had tons of gangs in every other neighborhood, but that's another story for another day :tongue3:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Duh me-I never thought of looking it up online, just figured it was fictional. Interesting. Must have been something to grow up around-not good or bad, just a way different perspective than I had growing up in Medford Lakes (before it was hoity toity like some think it is now : ) I like reading about/watching this type of stuff (loved the movie Five Points), but like I said in another post-keep me outta the city and give me the woods of South Jersey any day : )

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Duh me-I never thought of looking it up online, just figured it was fictional. Interesting. Must have been something to grow up around-not good or bad, just a way different perspective than I had growing up in Medford Lakes (before it was hoity toity like some think it is now : ) I like reading about/watching this type of stuff (loved the movie Five Points), but like I said in another post-keep me outta the city and give me the woods of South Jersey any day : )

Ok, so here's a tip-don't stay up too late posting on TN..... I meant the MOVIE Gangs of New York and/or the BOOK Five Points.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon, Dion and the Belmont lived only a few blocks from me on Belmont Ave:laughing7: , hence their name Belmonts. We used to always see them in the street. Gary Lewis from the Playboy's was also dating some woman from my friends building, then we had Carmine Appice who had a music studio nearby and taught drummer clinics.

A little more history. In the movie a Bronx Tale, the mobster were supposed to be members of the Lucchese Family, who were also the managers of Vanilla Fudge (Carmine Appice) Small world huh :laughing7:

Yup, nothing like that time and growing up in the Bronx. There were several worlds, all in one borough :headbang:

I'm still waiting to make my book deal :tongue3:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm not mistaken I think Carmine lived there, or Yonkers, or Mt Vernon. I also stayed in Mt Vernon from time to time in my early 20's and went to the old, I think it was Lollipop Disco in New Rochelle, right off the main drag :laughing7:

It was the perfect storm to grow up in such a unique area with all the changes constantly happening during these interesting times and I'd have it no other way :headbang:

I'm also trying to remember that rich little enclave between NR and the Bronx. I knew a girl that had a bowling alley in her house :laughing7: and by Boston road there was a Pizzeria where they filmed the inside shot for the Godfather with Michael making his first hit. :tongue3:

We had it all :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mack, the front was used for one scene and the inside shot was shot nearer you... I can't remember the parlors name, but it was on Boston Post Road right before NR. They even had some pictures of the cast on their wall. Now I'm trying to remember if they just shot the bathroom scene in that place. It was too long ago to remember :tongue3:

Speaking of movies, State of Grace was another great flick and I was at the bar where they filmed the hit :headbang: Funny thing about that pub, cell phones must be turned off, if you want to talk you best go outdoors :laughing7:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to use google, had the wrong street too :laughing9: You may have known this place, I was there only once.

Note: The pizza sucked too :laughing7:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Michael met Sollozzo and McClusky at "Louis' Italian American Restaurant in the Bronx," but in reality, the scene was shot at the old Luna Restaurant located on White Plains Road just off Gun Hill Road in The Bronx. The real owner and his wife played those parts in the film.[/FONT]

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice vedio Spart, great days and times.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread