27.3 KB · Views: 490
  • CMHarrisonPeak.jpg
    CMHarrisonPeak.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 477
OP
OP
C

Charles Miller

For hiking and backpacking in grizzly bear country, only the strongest Penzance will do. Lets the brutes know who's boss.

And, yeah, I know there are some prospectors back up in them hills. I met a couple of them in a canyon a few miles out of Bonners Ferry.

:P

Attachments

• Pipe&Knife.jpg
    Pipe&Knife.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 480

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
I fill with 7 to 1 Borkum Riff Whiskey and
Captain Black White mix.

Only smoke because it keeps the
culicidae family away.

have a good un...........

OP
OP
C

Charles Miller

I've smoked both, enjoy the Borkum Riff Whiskey (go through a pouch in no time); although, for sheer knock-down power, I prefer Charles Fairmorn dark fired shag mixed with Penzance. Bite your head off if you aren't ready for it.

:o

Attachments

• cfdarkshag.jpg
    cfdarkshag.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 467

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Charles,
Let me tell you unequivocally that grizzly bares love good tobacco! You are right though about it keeping the midges, flies, and skeeters away...usually. Welcome to an awesome site and looking forward to your pictures of finds.

Jim Johnson
grizzly bare

OP
OP
C

Charles Miller

Well, yes, I know that grizzlies will home-in on sweet & pungent odors such as strong tobacco. Had to discourage my wife from bringing beeswax candles on our backpacking trips into the mountains for that reason. However, it's all a matter of timing --- up above 6000 feet in Northern Idaho, in early June, it's still winter, basically. As you can see in that photo in the first post, the huckleberry patch that we camped in was not even blooming, nevermind fruiting. At that time of year in the Selkirks, at that elevation, mountain lakes are still frozen solid, pretty heavy snow is still on the mountain slopes, and the bears are down in the valley, where it's warmer and the berries are already coming out.

But later on, in August? Well, I wouldn't even think of camping in a huckleberry patch in August. :-X

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Charles

Nice Pics !

jeff

River Rat