Metal detecting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the successful MDers I know immerse themselves in local history, review old maps and aerial photos. Research is part of the hobby. All towns/cities have websites that have a link to their ordinances. Parks departments also normally have a link to their rules. A majority of County Auditor sites allow you to view GIS maps to determine who owns property.

There are so many resources online now that research has been made easier than years ago.

Good Luck

Mahler

Jun 23, 2017
Sardinia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Relic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not from the states and me myself is also new to this hobby. But i do know that you will have a higher chance of finding something good if you learn the history that connects to the type of thing you want to find! Just like the Loco-Digger said.
I started with history, i love history. Now i'm starting with metal detecting, those two combined together is a hella good combination!

I have several friends and relatives that practise this kind of hobby, and they all love history. I wouldn't be suprised if the majority of the MD:ers began with history / or as a collector and expanded their hobby to metal detecting. It's like reading something historical, and then you thinking "How cool wouldn't it be to find that type of thing" At least that's what got me into this hobby. I can say that i collected coins before and that also got me thinking "why am i paying good money for these coins, when i know that there's people out there finding these with metal detectors" Why not go right on the source, instead of having a middleman :D

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread