spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing was like the 60's with changes that would last for decades. A time of peace and discord and America growing in a new direction. Seemed that the younger people found their voices and spoke out, later to speak out in song. These are a few of the songs that I can remember that ticked off the establishment. I think the honor has to go to Steppenwolf with 2 songs that I can think of.

Steppenwolf - Monster, this song too political for the times

Steppenwolf - The Pusher, this song was also too political

Stones - Honky-Tonk Woman, politically incorrect, single had jacket cover banned

Napoleon XIV - They're Coming to Take Me Away, politically incorrect

Randy Newman - Short People, again, politically incorrect

Earth Opera - The Great American Eagle Tragedy, twice as political as Monster and ended up having
the album banned in many states

What can you add to this list??

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Brown Eyed Girl' by Van Morrison was highly suggestive for it's time for several lines including 'Makin' love in the green grass' which was replaced with 'Laughin' and a runnin'.

Nirvana or rather, Kurt Cobain's 'Rape Me' intro to 'Lithium' at the '92 MTV VMA's. Also known for the Krist Novoselic bass toss.

Rolling Stones 'Gimme Shelter' - Politically charged anthem

Jefferson Airplane 'Go Ask Alice' - drugs

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
GopherDaGold said:
'Brown Eyed Girl' by Van Morrison was highly suggestive for it's time for several lines including 'Makin' love in the green grass' which was replaced with 'Laughin' and a runnin'.

Nirvana or rather, Kurt Cobain's 'Rape Me' intro to 'Lithium' at the '92 MTV VMA's. Also known for the Krist Novoselic bass toss.

Rolling Stones 'Gimme Shelter' - Politically charged anthem

Jefferson Airplane 'Go Ask Alice' - drugs

"Brown eyed girl" was originally going to be called "Brown skinned girl" but they backed off on that one .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the yellow rose of texas * was about loving a "high yellow" / yellow -- woman --(part black bloodline but fair skinned enough that she could "pass for white")--- listen carefully to its lyrics -- see how he says --you can keep your belles from tennesee and the use of the word "of color" :icon_thumright: early inter racial --(mixed blood gal) love song.

shes the sweet rose "of color" *

basically it was saying -- i like mixed race women better than "blue blood" type pasty white gals.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other notable songs

Happiness is a Warm Gun Beatles Drug use

Lucy in the Skies With Diamonds Beatles Drug use

Volunteers Jefferson Airplane Politically incorrect

Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Country Joe & the Fish Antiwar - Vietnam

Ohio Crosby, Stills & Nash Antiwar

One Tin Soldier Politically incorrect

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Puff the Magic Dragon became controversial after it came out, and didn't amount to much. It still gets played too much. 'Mellow Yellow' by Donovan hit it right off, for the line about 'Electrical Banana'. (We tried that, it don't do nothin) When 'Ohio' came out, that did shake them up. A lot of us came up with T-shirts with targets on the back that said 'Student' underneath. We were sent home to change, too. Old fart that I was, I thought 'God Save the Queen' was just the coolest sound when it came out. They couldn't play and they couldn't sing, so that's what made it good. Didn't care about the politics, I liked the sound. And the most controversial at the time, of which yeah I went and bought the original version, 2LiveCrew, 'We Want Some....more record deals, maybe'. I laughed at that one.

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
RGINN said:
Puff the Magic Dragon became controversial after it came out, and didn't amount to much. It still gets played too much. 'Mellow Yellow' by Donovan hit it right off, for the line about 'Electrical Banana'. (We tried that, it don't do nothin) When 'Ohio' came out, that did shake them up. A lot of us came up with T-shirts with targets on the back that said 'Student' underneath. We were sent home to change, too. Old fart that I was, I thought 'God Save the Queen' was just the coolest sound when it came out. They couldn't play and they couldn't sing, so that's what made it good. Didn't care about the politics, I liked the sound. And the most controversial at the time, of which yeah I went and bought the original version, 2LiveCrew, 'We Want Some....more record deals, maybe'. I laughed at that one.

OMG! I had completely forgotten the banana thing. ROFL!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Yellow Rose of Tejas', Ivan Salis. Being 1/8 Texan, and still havin relatives there, I shall tell you a divergent legendary story. The Yellow Rose was a 'high yeller nigra'. Supposedly, she kept General Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana 'occupied' in his tent in San Jacinto in 1836, which allowed Sam Houston to come in and capture the Mexican army. Supposedly, and a good story. Lot of my family is Mexican. They have never in their lives heard of the 'Yellow Rose' (Emily Morgan or Emily West) They don't care a whole lot for Santa Ana (El Diablo del Norte) but that's probably because he ceded a whole lot of land to the US.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah yes the "yellow rose" aka known as mixed blood --white / black woman that could pass for 100% white --aka as "high yellow" ( i term i heard in new orleans as a child often ---new orleans had a lot various "mixed blood" folks of many differant social classes and cultures with their own differant names )--- it is said by many that "yellow rose of texas" was taken prisoner by santa ana and she used her "charms" to keep him buzy --while the texans set up their attack upon him --- as such shes a hero to texas folks --- they speak of her beautyas such --- you can keep your belles from tenneesse (white gals basically) * , thus she was better looking in their veiw -- basically it was unheard of to say a "mixed" blood woman was more "desirible" in public than a pure white gal in that day and age.

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
spartacus53 said:
Other notable songs

Happiness is a Warm Gun Beatles Drug use

Lucy in the Skies With Diamonds Beatles Drug use

Volunteers Jefferson Airplane Politically incorrect

Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Country Joe & the Fish Antiwar - Vietnam

Ohio Crosby, Stills & Nash Antiwar

One Tin Soldier Politically incorrect

Lucy in the sky with diamonds being about drugs is a myth. I think it was Lennon's kid that drew a picture. A family member?, Lucy, had died. Kid drew a picture: "Lucy in the sky with Diamonds."

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
There was a song in 1954.I was stationed in Salina,Ks.It was a country song best I remember.It was titled,'My Big 10 Inch'.The size of the new records on the market.But it had enough inuendos that you could imagine what else he was bragging about.It was banned immediately.I don't know the artist and have never been able to find that song anywhere.Anyone?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread