Lets wake up and talk about what really was going on in Vietnam in 1970 thru music

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to believe slipped soldiers LSD to make them killing machines.
Perhaps Experimentally they tried . But I'd guess if the soldiers weren't Grooving over the Noises & colors,
They were freaking out wondering what is going on. I would believe it would work better as a non Lethal way to Brain Wash (Psych Out)
the enemy

I believe the Nazi party did this. Not the American, although it would not surprise me. Those grunts had it rough (although I would not know first hand) and am sure it only took a couple of week in the bush to loose that new soldier gung ho feeling.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last train to Clarksville by the Monkees was about a soldier going to war. A lot of people never made that connection.

Take the last train to Clarksville
Now I must hang up the phone
I can't hear you in this
Noisy railroad station all alone
I'm feeling low
Oh no no no, oh no no no
And I don't know if I'm ever coming home

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daniel performed and written by Sir Elton John.

When Elton wrote the music for this song, he chopped off the last verse because he thought the song was already too long. The deleted verse explained that "Daniel" was a Vietnam Vet who returned home to the farm after the war, couldn't find peace, and decided to leave America and go to Spain. With the last verse chopped off, it became a fairly vague story of two brothers who part ways, although Bernie Taupin says that losing the verse wasn't a big deal.

Daniel by Elton John Songfacts

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Nazi party did this. Not the American, although it would not surprise me. Those grunts had it rough (although I would not know first hand) and am sure it only took a couple of week in the bush to loose that new soldier gung ho feeling.

well I can't imagine anyone on LSD being a killing machine or "Gungho"
about anything but great music and light shows (although I would not know first hand
on that either)
I can't even spell marawanna :unhappysmiley:

here ya go

a Platoon of Gomer Pyles

Last edited:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I can't imagine anyone on LSD being a killing machine or "Gungho"
about anything but great music and light shows (although I would not know first hand
on that either)
I can't even spell marawanna :unhappysmiley:

here ya go

a Platoon of Gomer Pyles

Interesting film. Wonder how many of those test subjects got hooked on the stuff. Also interesting was there were both Army and Air Force test subjects and one did not do better than the other. And I do find it disrespectful that you classified then as Gomer Pyles. Hope it was based on how they acted not that they were in the Military.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The CIA were doing LSD test on civilian test subjects in Palo Alto, California, among them was Ken Kesey, founder of the Electric Kool Aide Acid Test, with lights ad music by the Grateful Dead.
So, in a strange way, the CIA created the hippie movement and the 1967 Summer of Love.
Your government working for you!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's one of my surviving pictures from a USO show in An Khe :)

There were several pics I took, but at least the gal is dressed in this one!

Go Go Dancer.jpg

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
This was the first time I visited my original post, a confessional, about a year ago now.

I guess I was just embarrassed that I had confessed. Probably more than a few jiggers of brandy that night.

That war sure messed up our nation for over a decade after the end. The glory of WWII was not fated to be ours. It certainly took a while afterwards for me to grow up.
One of the most powerful anti-war songs concerning Viet Nam was "AN UNTITLED MANTRA" by Country Joe & The Fish on their "Together" 3rd album.
The lyrics were about 'Fat flies chew out their eyes in paddy mud"
"Keeping score in time of war, takes a superman
and we, send cards and letters"

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was with the 4th Infantry Division then, assigned to them. as an interpreter. Defense Language Institute, 47 weeks studying Vietnamese.

I spoke the language. I certainly don't anymore, but those words I knew are still there, mostly forgotten memories now. Toi khong biet nhieu lam! ( I don't remember much).

The 4th Div pulled out and I became lead of the Linguists in Nha Trang, certainly spent most of my time in a rented apartment downtown, stayed "stoned" at all times - $30 a month with a very cute lady and I "attended" to my military duties infrequently - and then suddenly I was home, like 8 hours notice and I was on a plane home. I went there a stupid young fellow, and came home even more lost in space.

All I ever did was survive, nothing more.

When we are young, we really have no idea what the world is about. It took me about a decade to get my act together afterwards.

We've a brother here - TerryC, another vet, and a real deal, USMC. I pray he is well, there are so few of us now. We tend to pass this earth early.

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the most powerful anti-war songs concerning Viet Nam was "AN UNTITLED MANTRA" by Country Joe & The Fish on their "Together" 3rd album.
The lyrics were about 'Fat flies chew out their eyes in paddy mud"
"Keeping score in time of war, takes a superman
and we, send cards and letters"

On the double album I payed good money for 25 years ago it's called "Untitled Protest."
Here it is....

As for the LSD thing, I still haven't watched that movie since the 80's and think I remember it saying "Based on true events."
Got me curious again. ???

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What's it Good for?

Nothing,,,

Absolutely!

Hey Deep - Great song - though if we look at this subject realistically. What is it good for? So, the whole world didn't have to learn German.....................

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget Bob Dylan's "Masters of War", one of the great anti war songs that pulled no punches and needed no interpretation. I graduated in 65, did a couple of years in college, then became 1-0. Yes the government did some LSD experiments on soldiers but they were non-combatants and never exposed to combat while high. I think all armed conflicts our government has gotten us into since WW2 were and are BS, designed to protect big business interests such as rubber in Nam and oil in the far east. Sadly there just hasn't been a real reason for American boys to die after WW2. By the way, my father was captured at the bulge and interned at stalag 9B, one of the worst. When liberated he weighed 77lbs and was 5'11" and couldn't even walk.

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
Well there were alot of protest song in the 60s to the 70s But what about other songs like The balled of the Green Bray. I had a very low draft number and I didn't think going to war with 6 week training was enough. More training the better was may thinking. Many of my friends bruit there draft card that was there call good or bad. I did not want to be in a fox hole with some one that didn't want to be there. Or being in a war that your not there to win like Viet Nam and every war since WW2

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Another song of that time, "SKY PILOT" by Eric Burdon & the Animals.
Includes battle sounds and bagpipes- a "Red Badge of Courage" take on Nam.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
USN Viet Nam, 72 73

Here's my memory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions