Try (just a little bit harder)

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw Janis in the Golden Gate Park panhandle, summer 1967, performing at a celebration for a recently killed local biker known as Chocolate George. I wandered into the party totally by accident as I was leaving Haight-Ashbury in disgust. I had first seen the Haight neighborhood in '63 when it was a haven for poets, beatnics and folksingers. I thought I'd check it out again, only to find it infested by an army of drunk panhandling runaways. The real hippies had bailed out of the Haight when it became "famous". Anyway, Janis and Big Brother were performing in the park - also the Dead and some other groups that I didn't know. In all honesty, I was not impressed with Janis that day - but in her defense, she and the entire band (barely more than a garage band, really) was so drunk they could hardly stand up. She and the band did much better earlier at Monterey. Sure wish I could have experienced that festival!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I missed out on the Joplin era, had a previous "engagement". The "Ball & Chain" video is my favorite from Janis.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the exception of perhaps a half dozen songs,
I was never really impressed by her either.

I owned "Pearl" on reel to reel. back i the 70's and liked most of that.
but I'm guessing if not for her appearance at Woodstock & Her early death,
she would sill be an unknown.

I'm also guessing her most impressive stuff is pure Blues & still unknown by me.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
With the exception of perhaps a half dozen songs,
I was never really impressed by her either.

I owned "Pearl" on reel to reel. back i the 70's and liked most of that.
but I'm guessing if not for her appearance at Woodstock & Her early death,
she would sill be an unknown.

I'm also guessing her most impressive stuff is pure Blues & still unknown by me.

Yeah, I always felt that if she could have reined in her talent, she might have become a much more listenable presence - at least to my tastes. Pearl was a good start, but she was dead before the album was released. Like others in the early "27 Club", we wonder what more they would have done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread