Statue of whom? or what....

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the finds that I like is this statue, material lead/tin, mostly lead I think. Found at the bottom of a canal, I was using a special net and pole to see what I could find. Found this, but never could find out what or who it is. Appears to be wearing a helmete and nose guard... and was mounted on something, was either torn off or pushed off....

Any ideas anyone? Who? How old? It is 10,5 cm (4.13 inches) high and weighs 275g (9.7 ounces).

Attachments

• Unkown1.jpg
    Unkown1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,149
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gypsy and Extractor for the information. The romans were never here in West Friesland so I guess it would have been brought to this area by someone. I guess someone threw it or lost it later in the small canal.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Witch said:
The romans in the Netherlands did not really have much up north beyond the big rivers (which run east-west generally), they were south of those. But trading did take place with tribes living in the place called Friesland for sure. The Low Countries were conquered by Roman forces under Julius Caesar in c.58 BC. The Netherlands therefore became Rome's northern frontier on the European mainland, although the Romans never defeated the Frisians and thus never conquered the piece of the Netherlands now known as Fryslan and Groningen. For the rest of the current Netherlands, they did conquer more or less everything.

The Romans built the first cities and created the province of Germania Inferior. For most of the large area of Roman occupation in the Netherlands, the boundary of the Roman Empire lay along the Rhine. Romans built the first military forts and cities in the Netherlands. The most important of these were Utrecht, Nijmegen, and Maastricht. The northern part of the Netherlands, which was outside the Roman Empire and where the Frisians lived (and still do), was also heavily influenced by its strong southern neighbour. The Romans also introduced writing.

That is Friesland. But I live and hunt mostly in North Holland, which is a province of The Netherlands. In this province there is an area called West Friesland.

Much of the western Netherlands was barely inhabited between the end of the Roman period and around 1100. Around 1000, farmers from Flanders and Utrecht began purchasing the swampy land, draining it and cultivating it. This process happened quickly and the uninhabited territory was settled in only a few generations. They built independent farms that were not part of villages, something unique in Europe at the time.

Before this happened the language and culture of most of the people who lived in the area that is now Holland were Frisian. The area was known as "West Friesland" (Westfriesland). As settlement progressed, the area quickly became Dutch. This area became known as 'Holland' in the 12th century. (The part of North Holland situated north of the 'IJ' is still colloquially known as West Friesland).

The Netherlands is named by many people Holland. Holland is just a part of The Netherlands. It has a North Holland and South Holland part. Before it was called Holland the area was know as WestFriesland.

The people living in West Friesland still speak "West Fries", some words are quite different than Dutch.

The blue arrow points to where the remains of West Friesland still exist, the Red arrow points to Friesland.
Hope this answers your question....

Attachments

• NHollandMODjpg.jpg
    NHollandMODjpg.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,025
  • map.jpg
    map.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,009

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CurberdiggerCarlius, owner and operator of several high class vomitoriums. Distant relative of mine. Would like to have it returned to out ancestral home, out here in Denver. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Could send a scan to some museums, might be a larger version of him out there. Good luck!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curbdiggercarl57 said:
CurberdiggerCarlius, owner and operator of several high class vomitoriums. Distant relative of mine. Would like to have it returned to out ancestral home, out here in Denver. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Could send a scan to some museums, might be a larger version of him out there. Good luck!

Wow you have a great family! Don't like the idea about vomitoriums though too much though....
But just send your address and the $10.000 postage stamp and it will be in your house tomorrow! ::)
I will try some museum, maybe they will know. Tried one but they didn't a while back.
Thanks.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, but the reunions got pretty disgusting! Keep us posted, like the idea of a helmet top.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts are its a 1890-1920s souvenir piece made to look like a Roman Soldier or other ancient warrior.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
My thoughts are its a 1890-1920s souvenir piece made to look like a Roman Soldier or other ancient warrior.

Hi Cru, well I think I could go along with that dating. Always wonder what it was used for, and why it wound up where it did... Thanks.

veronasteve

Mar 22, 2008
i think the artist has mixed his\her warriors a bit,the shield isnt roman...looks a bit saxon as well...my guess on date.....1730-1890ish, i think the base the statue stands on on looks a bit 18thc??

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Woody.....looks to me more like a Saracen or Moore type figure judging be his head gear he looks like he comes from a hot climate.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all of you for your determinations. I have kept a record of each one. If later I do hear from some museums I will let you know what the pro's think (although much of the time I think WE know better). I just don't know to which museum to ask something like this.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dugit and Jackie, why do you both think its a portait of Joan of Arc? Hairstyle, well it could be, but I think many men had long hair back then, especially warriors... I have a couple of closeups. The face (or nose) is pretty flat, I guess that it had fallen against something....About the bust area, could that not be part of the defensive armor?

Attachments

• jeanne_arc.jpg
    jeanne_arc.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 544
  • Jeanne Arc_resize.jpg
    Jeanne Arc_resize.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC02072_resize.JPG
    DSC02072_resize.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC02074_resize.JPG
    DSC02074_resize.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 528
  • DSC02077_resize.JPG
    DSC02077_resize.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 523

veronasteve

Mar 22, 2008
its a mish mash of ancient warriors im sure,looks male to me,has long hair( saxon,gaul) roman type armour clothing,cloak,decorated shield.maybe part of a pair off some sort of furnture,book case ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread