Just a great old story

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site just today. I am fortunate to have found such a place with so many good people. This is a true story about a house we lived in many years ago in Loogootee, Indiana. We were renting the place...dad was in the Navy at NAD, Crane, Indiana, so we only lived there for 1 tour and were only in this particular house about 1.5 years. The place was haunted, but I won't turn this into a ghost story because I know there are plenty of people who don't believe in ghosts. But I have seen 'em...
Anyway, the house was pretty old. There was a stand alone garage off to the side with the date 1853 or 1857 towards the top on the back in brass numbers. It was in that garage my brother and I were goofing off one day in the "loft". There was still alot of junk up there, and at one point my brother kicked a can out the opening to the garage floor. The can spilled open and some strange coins fell out. Of course, we scrambled down to take a look...the can was a tire patch/repair can that had a picture of a bicycle on it. One of those old bikes with the big front tire and little tiny back tire. The coins were shiny and pretty and big, but didn't look like anything we could buy bubble gum with so we took them into dad. There was also a note in the can that read something like "Mother would not have sent these if she didn't want you to have them". Dad about hit the floor...turns out they were $20.00 gold eagles...must have been 25 or 30 of them in there. And not a scratch on them...shiny as sunlight. Now, dad was an E-5 in the Navy at the time with 5 kids...needless to say he was struggling. That was in the 70's. Maybe it wasn't very honest of dad, but he sold the coins to make life a little better for us. The owners of the house had long since died and dispersed, so he did what he felt he had to do...who knows, maybe he was the one really meant to find them. On a sad note, it was a mere 4 months later that the price of gold skyrocked to a price unmatched until just recently. He saved none of the coins for himself (or me either for that matter :) so I have no pictues of the items. The house also has a hidden attic in the back. At the time, I was the only one small enough to crawl through the crevace type tunnel to see what was in there, so they sent me in. In this small room were boxes of books. I remember one book was a copy of Frankenstein and I remember it was odd that it said Frankenstein on the cover and when you opened it up there was one blank page, then the next page just said Frankenstein again and chapter 1...and the story began...at the end of the book, the last page said "the end", then another blank page and that was it...no preface, dedication, or publisher or anything like that. I suspect the publisher was noted on the edge cover of the book but do not recall. Of course, the cover was hardback and green in color. Another publication was a book on ettiquite. I recall it had a section in there that said how to pick a wife...recommendations were to "stay away from pidgeon toed women...that they are self centered and conceited. Also to stay away from women with fat fingers as they will grow to be, well, large. Sorry if I offend anyone there, this is merely for documentation.
Dad had me take the books back into the attic. I was young and probably did not scout out the room as well as I should have, so who knows what else is in there. I personally found several mercury dimes and the like in the dirt portion of the half basement. The house still stands, I just took a peek at it on google earth. Maybe some day I will return, but that is unlikley as I live in Washington now.
So there is my story...and my best contribution to a great site...happy hunting everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Murph

Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, Welcome aboard. Looking forward to pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread