A wooden measuring stick from 1650 (more data received...)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received some more data from the GMVV (Gewichten en Maten Verzamelaars Vereniging = Weights and measures collectors society) in Holland.

It's called a Zwaaihaak in dutch (english = Swing Hook, but thats just a google translation).
The length is good, must be 27.7cm and is divided into 10 thumbs (a thumb is about an inch).
That is a special official measure from Hoorn, The Netherlands. By the points 2.5 and 7.5 thumbs
a special symbol is given to show that that point is 1/4 foot and 3/4 foot.
It was called the (Citys) foot from Hoorn.

Dutch:
Je had deze zwaaihaak (ook: zweihaak) al eens aan mij laten zien, toen ik
samen met Gary Batz bij je op bezoek was, jaren geleden. De (stads) voet
van Hoorn meet 10 duim en is 27,7 cm lang. Daarom staan er vermoedelijk
bij 2,5 en 7,5 duim aparte tekens, om aan te geven dat het om 1/4 en 3/4 voet gaat.

In 1820 the metric system was introduced into Holland. Before that had some towns/cities and Providences in Holland their own measuring systems. Hoorn, where I live, was one of those towns, because it was on of the United East India Company's (the VOC) main towns where all its ships were repaired and revitalized. The Hoornse foot was 27.7 cm long, and that was divided into 10 parts.

A number of years ago, while searching in a deep pit where the VOC wharf was located I came across a piece of wood with my metal detector, because on the wood were mounted some brass parts. When I cleaned it off I found in my hand a measuring stick, made from wood and in perfect condition. Washing it off I saw the divisions of the stick, and when I turned it over to my surprise I saw a date, 1650! I almost jumped out of the deep pit in one movement, but just really climbed up the ladder. Looking more carefully in the daylight I also saw a makers mark (cure mark) on the stick. Wonder over wonder when I got home and really looked it was in PERFECT condition. Being under water since that date and in sticky clay mud had preserved the stick, just waiting to be found all that time.

Here in Holland its called a duimstok, translated that would be a thumb stick, that is because the 10 parts (2.7cm) are the widths of an average thumb.

I had the stick professionally preserved by a company here in Holland, it might not had to be done, but just to be sure. I don't know what sort of wood it is, could be palmwood. It has been one of my TOP finds for many years now, I often wonder which worker lost it and what he was doing on the ship when it fell into the water. Once in a lifetime find for sure, I have found other measuring sticks, but I imagine they were thrown away, because there is always a defect on them, and this is the only dated one I have ever seen.

Attachments

• Duimstok 1.jpg
    Duimstok 1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,651
  • Duimstok 2.jpg
    Duimstok 2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,577
  • Duimstok date.jpg
    Duimstok date.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,562
  • Duimstok measurments.jpg
    Duimstok measurments.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,579
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
I wish wooden artifacts where preserved so well here, usually they rot away within months. Wasnt a dutch ship from the 1600's found completly intact in mud off the coast of the netherlands?
I have heard recently that a Dutch ship was found here, but I don't think it was intact though. But they find ships everyonce in a while for sure, in the 17th century they really had enough of them, just like England. But maybe you mean the ship that was found a year ago (Nov 07, man how time flies) a complete 17th century ship found intact in the Baltic Sea, see

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2007/11/sensational_dutch_shipwreck_fo.php

They should raise that ship, it is entirely still good, not eaten by worms... But that costs a lot of course.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks to all of you for their great comments about the measuring stick. It is really a top piece, and in such good perfect shape. A museum will be please to get it later (we all stop or die sometime!). I enjoy it nowadays for sure!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
pssst woody

<<<<<<<<<havn't you noticed?

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
pssst woody
Yes of course I noticed, but have not seen any message that you had found it, so just supposed you found a nice coin laying on the red carpet, like Cru said at the pub, and you just took a photo to use for you profile photo. Actually the photo is in pretty good focus Shaun! I am not much into Roman coins though, so don't know what it is. Although on the other hand, had you found it I would imagine you would have written about 200 messages on this forum and I would have seen at least one of you jumping up and down all over the place....

So tell us....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
pssst woody
Yes of course I noticed, but have not seen any message that you had found it, so just supposed you found a nice coin laying on the red carpet, like Cru said at the pub, and you just took a photo to use for you profile photo. Actually the photo is in pretty good focus Shaun! I am not much into Roman coins though, so don't know what it is. Although on the other hand, had you found it I would imagine you would have written about 200 messages on this forum and I would have seen at least one of you jumping up and down all over the place....

So tell us....

you posted on his thread about this coin, I think. must be old age :D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,198828.0.html

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
pssst woody
So tell us....
Yes I guess it is, it is just that I sort of missed your photos... and it took some time before he added it to his profile I guess!
Old age does creap in sometimes I guess, you young guy....!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
pssst woody
So tell us....
Yes I guess it is, it is just that I sort of missed your photos... and it took some time before he added it to his profile I guess!

its took me all this time to work it out woody :D its my first avatar!

i see you've changed yours again, i liked the raunchy box lid personally ;D

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
pssst woody
So tell us....
its took me all this time to work it out woody :D its my first avatar!
i see you've changed yours again, i liked the raunchy box lid personally ;D
OK, glad to see you got the hang of it! Nice coin, really! I think I will put the raunchy box lid in the Best Finds tomorrow, it IS one of my best finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread