A Korean best find - when is a coin with a hole in it GREAT!!!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a retired Army NCO, living in S. Korea. Have been hunting the hills of S. Korea since 1977.
Last year, hunting a site I had been to one time before, I got a huge signal (about blew my eardrums out). Automatically, I thought:
a large piece of tin or iron. But, I have been hunting long enough to know that, by moving a large piece of metal, then you can
expose smaller coins to your machine. So, did the large sound.
Well, dug down, and down. Nothing but rocks. Better try again. Again, and the sound is louder. Okay. I'm not giving up on this
one. I have already found about 10 nice pre 1900 coins here, so want to do the detecting right.
Then, I came to a large flat rock that took some extra effort to move.
Lifted it up and.................WOW!!!
There, under the rock, were 4 different stacks of Korean holed coins (holed coins much the same as the Chinese square holed coins).
Korean holed coins were discontinued in the late 1880's, so I knew that I had made a good find.
I first (after waking up all animals within several kilometers of my position) got my camera to take some pictures. I was really
having a difficult time focusing on what I should do/needed to do, at that point in time.
Took the pictures, then began removing the coins out of the hole. Got over 50 coins the first time. Got my detector, and sure enough,
there were more there.
Final count: 70, an even 70 Korean coins, all minted from 1679 to 1831.
I looked at the coins, looking for any rare coins, but all appeared to be quite common. Well, no problem. I was sure I would be able to fill some holes in my collection.
Took them home and began to clean them. And, it ended up that several of the coins appeared to have come out of the bank into that hole. Like new, UNC. So, they were all quite common. But, an UNC Korean holed coin is worth several hundred dollars.
Figured out that total of the cache was about $3,000.00 and change.
Now, hunting for my "second" cache.......hope it doesn't take me as long to find as the first one......it will have to be my son that finds it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread