My best find ever

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
I had it originally posted under estate sale find but did have pics until there was like 17 responses so heres the first post with pics What do you think???

About 2 years ago my father in law and I went to an estate sale.We found some stuff when we were in the basement he reached under a work bench and pulled out a small percussion pistol.We put it in the box and paid $5 for the box of stuff.When we got home we split the stuff up and he told me to hold onto it because I collect military items,It sat in a trunk I had for a year or so....the other day I went to a gun show in my area so I decided to take it.I went to a table where a guy had similar age guns replicas knives long guns etc...He said "What you have there?" I unzipped the case and watched his face To see if he gives a sign...( I don't like to be swindled) He licked his lips.I didn't even have to hand it to him and he asked if I wanted to trade.That was a tell right there.The guns in the case were price over $400.I told him no thanks I want to do more research.10 min later he taps me on the shoulder"Come back to my table I found it in the book" He showed it to me.It is an NP AMES model 1842 percussion pistol.It is in good conditon,I can give you $400 right now or some more if you trade.He then showed me the gun in good cond. is valued at $700!! I said no thanks I think I'll hang on to it!
I showed it to another guy he called 2 friends over the huddled up and were shaking their heads and buzzing.He came back and said yep Its authentic I wish i could buy it from you for $400...He said put some oil on it to stop the rust and hang onto it this retails for over $800!! Do not sell this!!
I know this story is so long but boy am I happy!! I did some research It says only 2000 were made and also it is a war relic and should be treated with respect.Can any one out there in treasure net land lend me some advice or have some more info for me...The internet didnt turn up as much as I expected.I'm sure theres many knowledgable people here. Please post or PM me I will also try to put up some pics soon.Any one with some knowledge on preserving it would be great.I dont want to be the guy who ruins a relic by cleaning it!!!!! Ther is some surface rust not pitting though and the wood is well worn.The guys at the show said use some oil or kroil and some fine brass wool to get rust off. Any help will be awesome.This is truly a find of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!
Gerald

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,847
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,849
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,843
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,857
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,855
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,840
Upvote 0
P

pippinwhitepaws

yes...gun cotton is explosive if you add a match..and a closed container and try reallllllll hard to blow it up.

i use it in my little cannon...makes a great bang when it goes off, though steel wool has a similar effect.

i use never dull on all metal objects i gather..it cleans better than any thing i have tryed in the past...
gently rubbing and the dirt is gone...patina stays..unless you get carried away.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, take it to a good gunsmith, they will take care of it. A few years ago my parents and I went to an antique mall and found an old Civil War 1862 or 63 (I'm not exactly sure) Springfield rifle for $500. They bought it to hang above the fireplace. It was in very good condition but they wanted it cleaned so they took it to our local gunsmith. The man said he would clean it up for free if they let him fire it once it its done at his gun club. They agreed and got it done for free. He didn't touch the stock as it would ruin the patina of the wood but he cleaned off the rusty parts and cleaned the bore and oiled it up all. :thumbsup:

I'm sure if you find a real gun enthusiast they may give you the same deal as they LOVE old firearms!!!!!!

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personaly could not own such a piece without fireing it at least once!

bambbrose

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2008
Did they make a lot of replicas of this type of pistol?

I found one like this out in the dirt all rusted as a kid out here in the desert, but the stock is in good shape and looks almost new or something.

I still have it, I need to snap some photos. I was under the impression that it must have been a replica but after seeing this post I want to make sure lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions