01010004.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 2,083
  • 01010003.JPG
    01010003.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,067
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Wow, that's really neat, thanks for sharing it!

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so nice. I found an american indian ring once was like that piece--definately indian made.

SKD

OP
OP
P

pippinwhitepaws

i found it in one of those trash piles composed of condensed milk and bean cans...eyeball find, whats that shiny thing?

OP
OP
P

pippinwhitepaws

i put 1800's up there...duh...i agree..late 1800 early 1900's.
the photo does not do it justice...
this concho was beat out on a rail...and found within a mile of tracks that came through in 188o.
sante fe all the way!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome piece, it is from a horse harness. I find them often here in Germany but they are always brass. Congrats and HH, Mike

OP
OP
P

pippinwhitepaws

no luck in defining the coin used...the piece weighs 15.7 grams. short for a silver dollar...maybe an old peso?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you think its from a coin and not just a lump of silver. I don't see anything left from a coin, but I'm blind.... :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D

OP
OP
P

pippinwhitepaws

thanks for the replies....
i believe it is an old coin...no identifying features are left, and i have used a 10x numerous times to study the piece.
it weighs 15.7 grams, less than most coins, just shy of an 1870's peso.

the irregularities around the rim suggest to me it was made from something else.
the amount of work that went into this piece, hammer marks, also suggest it was not a flat sheet formed into a disk.
i have made conchos from flat sheet, and it is fairly simple, not requiring the amount of time spent on this piece.

i guess i am basing my opinion on the "feel" of the piece, the location of the find, and my own familiarity with navajo jewelry...

again, thanks for the response

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lesser weight of a silver dollar may be from the slits cut for the strap. It has been obviously hammered like you said. Just out of curiosity, I wonder what that historical piece would be appraised at? Have you ever considered that maybe a harness was through in that dump and there could be another one? HH and interesting piece, Mike

OP
OP
P

pippinwhitepaws

i have gone back to the site several times...only broken glass and tins...no leather remains at all?
i first thought it was a saddle bag decoration...then saddle trim...
those navajo ladies loved their concho belts...there should have been other pieces in that dump, but nooooooo
:(

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my wifes, cousins, husband used to make those back in the 70's. He mostly used mexican coin it was cheaper in cost.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread