A fascinating find from my early days:UPDATE

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
One of my all time best finds from way back in the '70s

A silver masonic coin. On one side a chalice, surrounded by cryptic letters.

The other side shows a keystone, with the name "Jewett C. Baker" inscribed at the top and "Dec. 17, 1914" at the bottom.

In the center circle is a cane and balls, and the stylized initials JCB. The circle is lined with smaller letters of which some I can't make out.

On the sides of the keystone are "Waltham" and "R.A.C."

I have never been able to find out anything about this coin or the gentleman, but I really love this rare (IMO) piece. I have seen many masonic coins but have yet to see anything close to this.

Maybe a Tnet'r can shed some light on this one.

UPDATE: I posted in Treasure Marks/Signs forum and quickly got the answers I needed. This is a Masonic Chapter membership Token. The design "Imitates a Jewish Shekel of year 2 of Simon Maccabaeus". R.A.C. stands for "Royal Arch Chapter".

I am now researching the gentleman whose name is inscribed on it. Through geneaology records, I have found a person in the area of Waltham that is a close fit in a timeline. It would be so cool to track down the actual owner of the coin, and maybe more about his life.

HH

Attachments

• masons1.JPG
    masons1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,241
  • masons2.JPG
    masons2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,248
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Re: A fascinating find from my early days

Thanks Glenn! That gives me a bit of info I can check out. I may have to correspond with a Masonic org. to find out about his membership. I can only figure that there was a lodge or chapter in Waltham, Ma.

I also looked up R.A.C. in a site that shows abbreviations of clubs and organizations(including fraternal orders), and I can't find anything so far.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Glenn, thanks again! Your response got the ball rolling for me to figure this coin out. I updated the original post!

Thanks for you interest and help!

HH

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
thanks for the pics. i am a mason and have heard about those but have never seen one. thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread