1922, PLAIN, LINCOLN CENT

Swanie1

May 6, 2003
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE
A number of years ago, I was metal detecting in an old small town park. I had found quite a few coins when a young boy rode up on his bicycle and asked how I was doing. We talked for awhile and he said " I've got some coins in a tobacco can at home. Do you want to see them?". I said OK and he was back in a minute with the coins. He told me that he would trade me some for some of my found coins. At that time, I wasn't very knowledgeable about coins and wasn't sure what I lacked or what I was even looking for. He dumped them out on a picnic table. I began looking through his coins and noticed a 1922 Lincoln cent. We traded a few coins, back and forth. The 1922 rang a bell with me but I didn't realize what it was until I got home and looked it up in a coin magazine. After examining it I noticed that it didn't have a "D" on it. I felt kind of guilty about it, later, but, truthfully, I didn't know what I had and had no idea who the kid was.
My digital camera didn't show the true copper color of the coin.

Attachments

• 1922 Plain(1).jpg
    1922 Plain(1).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 1922 Plain(2).jpg
    1922 Plain(2).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,010
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic find! I wont tell if you don't!

The coin was actually minted in Denver, according to Coinfacts:

This rare variety was caused when the mintmark became filled with crud on a worn die.

That is roughly a $500 coin according to the Red Book!!

WTG!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread