Possibly one of the hardest coins to find? My best Canadian coin

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
This 1885 Newfoundland dime still brings a smile to my face after all these years. I found it at an old fairground. It wasn't until I looked it up that I realized how good this find was for a detectorist. There were a total of only 8,000 of these coins minted. The questions I have always wanted answered is....How many of these coins are in the hands of collectors and dealers today? How many were lost? Being a provincial coin as it is, I would think that most of the lost ones would be under Newfoundland soil somewhere.

I have always wondered why it is not worth all that much considering the low mintage. The 1916D Mercury dime has a mintage of 264,000. I realize that it is not a U.S. coin and therefore the value is not high. I guess it is a question of demand by collectors.

Anyway, I would be thrilled to find out if someone else has found one of these! I mean, what are the odds!

Attachments

• newfy.JPG
    newfy.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 796
  • newfy2.JPG
    newfy2.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 790
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find. Congradulations....

A way unappreciated category in Canadian coins. Unfortunately, there are not as many collectors for Newfie coinage. I think they are some of the nicest coins and are still affordable to collect. I own a few silver pieces that have a lower mintage, but the value does not reflect the scarcity. The good news is that anyone can collect these beautiful coins and not have to pay a fortune. Your coin still starts at $70 Cnd and can reach $1,200 in XF. (my book is a year old) If this was Canada, it would be worth a fortune and U.S. well, a king's ransom. I think your attitude is a true reflection of this coin. Just think how something from N.E. Canada with a mintage of 8,000 can make it's way to your area is truly unbelievable! Nice Find!
Dave.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
:o that is sweet!

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Muddyhandz said:
A way unappreciated category in Canadian coins. Unfortunately, there are not as many collectors for Newfie coinage. I think they are some of the nicest coins and are still affordable to collect. I own a few silver pieces that have a lower mintage, but the value does not reflect the scarcity. The good news is that anyone can collect these beautiful coins and not have to pay a fortune. Your coin still starts at $70 Cnd and can reach $1,200 in XF. (my book is a year old) If this was Canada, it would be worth a fortune and U.S. well, a king's ransom. I think your attitude is a true reflection of this coin. Just think how something from N.E. Canada with a mintage of 8,000 can make it's way to your area is truly unbelievable! Nice Find!
Dave.
Thanks for your response and info on the Canadian coins.

I should have been more specific to begin with. I found the coin in Maine back in the late '70s. Sorry for not adding that from the start.

I agree with you about the Provincial coinage. I think they are real sleepers as an investment. Real beautiful coinage!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread