First Visit to Early 1900s Homestead nets major Bling

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is by far the best day ever for me...I've been very fortunate in the 10 years or so that I have devoted to this hobby. But, never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would be so lucky. Here's the story in abbreviated form. I don't wanna bore you all with all the details.

Several days before the day of the hunt, I had met a gentleman at a local book store while I was researching and casually reading some material on some good local metal detecting spots. Our conversations soon changed and I found out that he owned several older homestead properties in the area north of where I live out in the country. I almost didn't get up the nerve to ask but I went ahead and asked if he would mind if I came over one weekend to spend some time metal detecting. He was very nice and told me I could hunt his properties anytime. I even offered to split anything of value that I did find. He said he didn't care about that at all. Boy was I pumped about that !!! This was almost too good to be true. Was I getting myself into something ? He gave me directions on how to get to the homestead so I made plans to go out on my day off from work.

I arrived yesterday morning early at the entrance to the property which was gated but he told me I could have free run of the property. I was amazed to find most of the house still intact but was a bit spooked about entering the old house which I didn't do this trip. I concentrated my efforts to the outside of the house. I worked the front entrance of the house all the way out to the street which took several hours..and the only thing I had to show for it were the three balls (Musket balls Huh) not sure what these are at all, but the two bigger ones are very heavy, the other is light in weight. I was really getting disappointed ..no coins at all which is what I had on my mind in hopes of finding. I worked back down the side of the house towards the back ..still nothing. I got to the rear of the house. There were several old fruit trees that had since died off, but were still standing. I worked the whole area from the back steps out to the edge of the old fruit trees. I had a very strong signal at the base of one of the trees and it measured 4 inches on my Garrett GTAx 1000 (I forgot to bring my Whites MXT with me ...drat drat drat) Anway, I dug down about 4 inches and started hitting pieces of plastic. I stopped and widened the hole around the area afraid I might damage what was in the hole not knowing what was there. Slowly I dug through all the plastic and saw a red pouch. Evidently the pouch had been wrapped ..I mean double triple wrapped with the plastic. Whoever buried it wanted to keep out everything I guess. Finally I got the red pouch out of the hole and it was a bit heavy. Then was when my heart skipped several beats. I prayed to myself please let this be good... LOL It's good I was alone or someone would have thought I was totally off the deep end. I opened the pouch which was in perfect condition and inside were all the rings. I sat down, took a deep breath and thought to myself...I gotta show these to the owner of the property. I can't in all honesty not say anything. I got back up and began to work the hole area again thinking maybe there may be something I missed...and surely there was...the last photo at the bottom was the final ring..loose in the bottom of the hole and covered with hard dirt...I decided then it was time to go. I'd had enough excitement for a lifetime.

I got home, showed the wife..of course the first thing she did was check to see if they would fit her fingers....too small...DRAT !!! LOL Anyway I called and got hold of the property owner ..his comment was ..did you find anything good Huh I said did I ever. The next day I went by his home and had to show him what I had found. He was truly amazed..I asked him how he wanted to split up all the rings..his comment Huh? I don't want em ..you keep em !!!! That was the icing on the cake !!!!! YEEEEEEEEEHAWWWW is all that came out of my mouth all the way home. I've got an open invitation anytime I want to come out to his property to hunt again. Wow, what an experience!!! I'm not a bit discouraged that the rings are missing some stones because I tested all the rings and all the stones are REAL !!!!! and the rings are gold.

Just wanted to share this with all of you. Hope all of you have a day like I had. It's truly an experience of a lifetime.

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

Attachments

• Rings1&2.jpg
    Rings1&2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,600
  • Ring3.jpg
    Ring3.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,635
  • Ring4.jpg
    Ring4.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,610
  • Ring5.jpg
    Ring5.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,604
Upvote 0

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
congrats on a great find looks like you have a good spot hopefully some old coins will pop out

fortworth flash

Greenie
Mar 27, 2008
WTG RockyRedBaron....I live in Fort Worth also, and have found a few rings but nothing like that. But I have 911
programmed in my phone just to make sure when I do!!! Nice saves.

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
Wow Wow Wow! Nice hunts! Man alive! I enjoyed reading your post and seeing the rings! I love them! :thumbsup: That is a lifetime find! Congrats to you! It pays to be honest as you have shown in your post! Your honesty is the best treasure you have! :icon_sunny:

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Man, what an exciting trip to say the least! The rings are gorgeous and I'm very jealous! >:( Hope you find some more goodies on your next trip out! What a kind man for letting you keep what you find. Unbelievable!

HH,
Moon

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Did you get them appraised? Do you have any details about the rings? Who may have buried them? Thanks for sharing, and holy cow what a find!!! Congratulations!!!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all hope for one of what you found. Have you gotten them appraised yet? Have you done any more digging on that
land? What else have you found?
Thanks for posting your truely tremendous find!!! Keeps us less lucky then you going... :thumbsup:

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just goes to show - you can't be to shy about talking to people and asking permissions.

Cuthroat

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Any idea how old they are?

I wonder why they were buried?

Maybe a thief drove out into the country and buried his loot where he would remember to find them when he gets out of prison? LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread