No Gold, No huge ring..But my most interesting find

L

Lex

I found this in Bradenton Florida (about an hour south of Tampa) in my front yard. I was looking for the property line marker and found this at about 4-5 inches deep. My house was built in 1914 so perhaps this was lost when the land was originally parceled out.

When I dug it up there was quite a bit of tarnish and it seemed stuck closed. After a good cleaning everything works....Even the bezel turns.

Probably not worth alot to others but it has been the start of many daydreams for me:)

Oh it says it was made in Paris, France and has a serial number of less than 500. Also stamped U.S. Geological Survey

Attachments

• Picture16 072c.jpg
    Picture16 072c.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,094
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lex

Strange but I just noticed that some of the numbers are inverted and/or backwards. Look at the 70 degree mark and the ones toward the bottom. The things you see after you post:P

OP
OP
L

Lex

beeper said:
don't know about survey, but the numbers in reverse would indicate a mirrored reading?

I was thinking that but some are just upside down and some upside down and backwards....

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats an incredible find! the condition is remarkable!

OP
OP
L

Lex

Cleaning it was interesting in itself. Started with soap and water of course, then tried ultrasonic. (Didn't help) ended up using mothers brass and chrome cleaner at the end. Comes in a can with a soaked cotton material inside. Worked real well to bring out shine. But that was a good 8 years or so ago. It has been in my treasure box since.

Did the mirror thing and they do look right! maybe there was an insert at one time or something like that.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME Find. Really cool!! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread