Nice solid gold inscribed ring I found in a CS camp last year

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Solid gold CS solders ring inscribed with his name, F. H. M. McGregor in the type style of the civil war period, also some other markings. I found this ring august 2009 in a CS camp near Shiloh Tennessee. The camp was several miles from the battlefield. Many fine CS relics have been found at the site. I've done some research and this ring most likely belonged to Flewer M. McGregor of the 18th Arkansas (Carroll's) Inf. After going through official records of thousands of names of solders and taking in to consideration the location of the find, his name fits best. Sgt McGregor fought in the battles of Corinth and Iuka Mississippi, then sent to Port Hudson, captured there and sent to Johnson's Island Military Prison with no further information so he must of died there. He was from White Sulphur Springs Arkansas in 1860, and assembled at Devall's Bluff in the summer of 1861. Two other solders that could have been at the site where the ring was found are Hugh McGregor of the 28th Mississippi Cavalry company K, C, I. The other is Marsual McGregor of the 35th Tennessee Inf co B. A one of a kind confederate relic that needs some more research.

Attachments

• P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 972
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 969
  • P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 964
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a STELLAR find! And BRAVO to you for doing the research on who it could've belonged to! :hello2:

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello2: :headbang:
The ring is a wonderful and historic find! I would love to find a CW inscribed ring!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome piece of history!!

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
wow!!!! a gold ring is nice, a inscribed gold ring is great, and a inscribed CS gold ring is awsome!!!!!!!! epif find! :headbang:

James from TN

Apr 26, 2010
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one heck of a find! I can't believe we missed that ring after so many years of hunting that camp. We need to get back in their as soon as we get some rain. Congratulations Big Brother! James

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a unique piece of history! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread