Roman Silver pennanular ring

Hi guys and gals, I thought id share this with you.!
I actualy found it in February in the same field as my Gold hammered coin and put it in my finds box as a BRONZE ring.!
Took it to the National Museum of Wales on wednesday for recording and they have identified it as : A SILVER pennanular finger ring of 2nd century AD with snake head terminals :o
To say I was surprised is an understatement, I could have sworn it was bronze!
Anyway it now has to go through "The treasure act" sounds exciting but its a long process of drawn out paperwork and politics.

I should know in about a year whats going to happen to it!

I hope you enjoy looking.

Colin

Attachments

• Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,348
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Colin......Like you said ,it looks bronze ! But that is a super find ............! WTG

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
wow -- must be a nice crust of something over the silver then eh? --really neat find -- older than my oldest ring by (getting out calculator) umm well at least four digits -- congrats!!

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you get possession of it.....It is a beauty.....I like the way antiquities are handled over there. At least I think they try to be fair on finds..

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
This is a sweet ring and the history behind it is a nice reward. A best find for sure. Congrats Colin!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Awesome find, WTG!!!
Please, keep us posted on the outcome...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

D

dugupfinds

Colin the cop said:
I should know in about a year whats going to happen to it!

Colin

And the rest. Takes forever, although I believe they have speed it up abit due to the high volume of complains. Its only fair that they stick to the 1 year guideline. Seeing as we have to declare within 14 days. Guess you got court out on that one :P

However to be fair, its from the time that you know its potential treasure & you thought it bronze :)

Well done, at least yours was whole. ;D

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Colin, Thanks for sharing the ring. would it take an additional 18 centuries to get it back?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions