My best find yet (only been detecting since May)

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I know for some of you with all the great finds I've seen here that this might not seem like much. To me, this is a treasure that i am VERY proud of. I found this 1851 Large cent in a local park. The area is very historic, there is a tavern down the street that George Washington stayed at and there was also a small Revolutionary War battle that took place close by. I found the LC in kind of a gulley area that the rain had washed away some of the surface soil as it ran downhill. It was only buried at about 2 - 3 inches down.
I am just fascinated with the fact that someone held this coin in their hand before the Civil War even took place! I wonder how long this was actually buried and how it came to be dropped there...
I am a major history buff and this coin is a special "treasure" to me....

Attachments

• 100_4163.JPG
    100_4163.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 923
  • 100_4164.JPG
    100_4164.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 903
Upvote 0

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a right to be proud of that. I know I would be.
Very nice!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Very nice find, one that I would be proud of as well. Living where you live, I imagine this is just the first of many more interesting finds for you! :)

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
A lot of the large cents people find on this forum are great. BUt urs is excellent cuz it shows detail and other stuff that u cant see on those coins that have been in the ground for so long! :)

T

TreasureTales

That's a nice find MF...uh, I mean Metalfury.

Coins are such interesting parts of history. They are small, but tell big stories. Congrats!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a 1857 yesterday and i feel the same way about it

HH
-GC

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Thats an excellent find! The ground its buried in sure makes a differance how they come out.
Hope you enjoy the moment.
Congrats & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread