1901 Diary Returned to Great Grand Daughter

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's no real treasure here unless you consider family heritage a treasure. I found a really cool diary from a notable physician and Dean of Dartmouth Medical and through the power of The Google and a quick genealogical analysis was able to return it to the great granddaughter all the way from DC to NH. Pretty awesome and made me feel good. She seemed psyched and surprised to get the email and was generally pretty grateful to hear about it. Just wish someone would do the same for me. So rare and gratifying are these moments, I have to categorize this as a "best find", or at least one I'm proud of.

You can see the diary here if you are interested:
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/58624109

Upvote 0

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
To the great-grandaughter, definitely a treasure beyond compare! Excellent that you were able to contact her about this diary. Andi

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a good deed!! Of course family history is a treasure!!! To have his thoughts, his feelings, in his handwriting - priceless!!! I'm proud of you too!
Tigger

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Very cool. I've found a nice pile of these home journals, diaries and some very old photo albums in house demos over the years. Managed to track down the current generations on a couple and sadly they had no interest.

These were rich accounts, as the one you posted, there was weather, whose laundry was done for 20 cents, someone was being put up after a fire put them out, etc.. The holiday periods were really rich in their accounts of all things both communal and individual.

I sent a pile of them to the local historical society for safe keeping after reading them front to back.

OP
OP
ipsilateral

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some folks don't have an appreciation from their heritage, but others do. Fortunately, this person was very surprised and excited. Thanks, Tigger and G-olden years! I think giving them to the Historical Society is a fantastic idea if the descendants don't want them. Thanks for sharing the good tip.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ipsilateral said:
Some folks don't have an appreciation from their heritage, but others do. Fortunately, this person was very surprised and excited. Thanks, Tigger and G-olden years! I think giving them to the Historical Society is a fantastic idea if the descendants don't want them. Thanks for sharing the good tip.

Yup, the key is to send personal stuff to the county historical/genealogical society where the person lived (in case a bible or papers wandered afar), then, hopefully, researchers who ARE interested in that person will find it! I know there's a family bible out there for my ancestors, but haven't been able to find it, just a mention of it at an auction 30 yrs ago. I keep hoping someone will send the info to the Illinois bible project.
Anyway, kudos again, you did great!!

Whitebeard

Nov 20, 2011
Higher-North-Shore Qc.
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a treasure for Great Grand Daughter, I would be thrilled to have in hand such writings from my Great Grand Parents, nice gesture, it helps to keep in mind that not all treasures are made of gold, silver and precious stones, congratulation.

OP
OP
ipsilateral

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Whitebeard. I would be thrilled too. Hopefully, I will start a trend.

Nate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread