1792 A French Colony of Cayenne Coin (Surface find)

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been metal detecting since last spring, It took a month or so before I found my first old coins, but it was at my aunts house, two indian head pennies in the same hole 2 inches down. Then, during the summer I started metal detecting an old farm house that my mom is renting. There is a large cellar hole in the front yard because the house was moved back further from the road a few years ago. The first place I started detecting was around the cellar hole. But within a month I could only find junk and clad. I was so discouraged I had a hard time getting out and trying, but finally I had a burst of encouragement and decided it was going to be my day. I got off the couch walked right up to the edge of the cellar hole, turned on my detector. Swung it once, and got a pulltab signal at 2 inches. I usually don't dig pulltab signals but its said 2 inches plus it was a clear loud hit. So I bent over getting ready to dig but I saw something on the surface of the ground. I picked it up and I thought it was a farmers token. It legibly read "2 SOUS". It was unbelievably thin. I later found it to be a 1792 (A mint mark) coin from the French Colony of Cayenne in French Guinea. Then later that day I found a four hole button military button from Paris on the other side of the cellar hole. We have been renting this house since and have gotten some pretty neat stuff out of it. Anyways, there's a video down below of the find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread