Chinese miners weapon of choice.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I'd post this unique find I made in the beginning of this year. My friend gave me permission to hunt his 30 acres in the Sierra foothills that had been a Chinese camp for miners working the local creeks in the area. First few hours I found many iron square nails, opium tins, and other common items found in this area. As I moved towards a flat spot I started to find things like Chinese ceramic pieces from dishis and cups and other items including what appeared to be a broken blade from a sword. I showed it to my friend and and pretty much called it a day. The next day my buddy and I hunted the same area and he found the other end of the blade puzzle. The handle had mother of pearl and the length was apprx. 12 inches long.

Attachments

• Chinese dagger 013.jpg
    Chinese dagger 013.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,435
  • Chinese dagger 012.jpg
    Chinese dagger 012.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,431
  • Chinese dagger 001.jpg
    Chinese dagger 001.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,549
  • Chinese dagger 013.jpg
    Chinese dagger 013.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,399
  • Chinese dagger 012.jpg
    Chinese dagger 012.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,437
  • Chinese dagger 001.jpg
    Chinese dagger 001.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,463
  • Chinese ware.jpg
    Chinese ware.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,501
  • Chinese coin.jpg
    Chinese coin.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,520
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting sword / knife! :o
I'm thinking that because the handle is 12" long, it must have been designed to be used as a two-handed sword. This having been said, I'm also thinking that there must have been a piece or possibly a number of pieces in the middle that are missing? :icon_scratch: Do the two broken ends of the blade mesh perfectly together?

Very nice find Relichunter1! :thumbsup:
Dave

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN said:
Very interesting sword / knife! :o
I'm thinking that because the handle is 12" long, it must have been designed to be used as a two-handed sword. This having been said, I'm also thinking that there must have been a piece or possibly a number of pieces in the middle that are missing? :icon_scratch: Do the two broken ends of the blade mesh perfectly together?

Very nice find Relichunter1! :thumbsup:
Dave

Antiquarian, yes the blade matches the knife exactly. The total length with blase and handle is 12 inches, would not want to be stuck by that, :o Talk about chopped suey :D :D. Mother of pearl handles, but all worn out and broken. Would be a nice restoration project for someone who knows knifes.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya know this is on the verge of Banner finds .

Abt12

Greenie
Nov 27, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find. I wonder what the reasoning for the extra long handle was... Some sort of task specific function? First thing that comes to mind is additional force in double-overhand stabbing, but I admittedly have zero knowledge in weapon use beyond experience! :tongue3:

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks ! Hey Shep how are things...I am biased but I do think this is a great find because the dagger/knife was incredibley decorative when new..160 years ago. The canons, and the face you can clearly see, with the brass/bronze/ mother of pearl handles it must not have been a cheap piece or possibly a custom. I think I am going to look into restoreing it to its full glory.such a piece deserves it. Plus it connects Chinese miners in California to the California Gold Rush.. :icon_scratch:. When I do I will post new before and after pictures, it may than get banner... ;D

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a high quality find. BANNER for sure! What a treasure.... :headbang: :notworthy: :hello2:

S

stefen

The sword / knife may be fir ceremonial purposes as opposed to utilitarian.

Perhaps an Chinese antique dealer in San Francisco or elsewhere could identify the knife, period and history.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a switch blade ,one cannon looks like it moves and is that a spring on the other side of the handle ??

Jonnie

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baywalker said:
Looks like a switch blade ,one cannon looks like it moves and is that a spring on the other side of the handle ??

Jonnie

Baywalker, no springs on this old thing..The blade folded into the handle. This knife was found on a 1860's Chinese mining camp on my friends private property. We hunt this area once in a while and have uncovered opium tins and a few Chinese coins and things. So I am pretty sure this knife was a miners personal weapon of the last resort.... >:( >:( >:( :icon_thumleft:

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an amazing find, I love it. I have a few of those chinese coins like the one pictured. great find.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
most likely it was a weapon and likely all they had to defend ones self with ---robbery of chinese and black miners was fairly common especially in the pre civil war days and often little or nothing was done about it legally speaking -- often the miners were nearly helpless since "local" white store owners often would not sell guns and ammo to chinese or black miners in those days --they were easy picking for claim jumpers and robbing criminals --the civil war allowed many free blacks and asians to 'arm" themselves for the first time because of all the guns being suddenly 'availible"

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relichunter1 said:
I thought I'd post this unique find I made in the beginning of this year. My friend gave me permission to hunt his 30 acres in the Sierra foothills that had been a Chinese camp for miners working the local creeks in the area. First few hours I found many iron square nails, opium tins, and other common items found in this area. As I moved towards a flat spot I started to find things like Chinese ceramic pieces from dishis and cups and other items including what appeared to be a broken blade from a sword. I showed it to my friend and and pretty much called it a day. The next day my buddy and I hunted the same area and he found the other end of the blade puzzle. The handle had mother of pearl and the length was apprx. 12 inches long.

Weapon of the Chiness sword dancer [Dragon Teaser] Very nice find,

tinpan

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
aa battery said:
ya know this is on the verge of Banner finds .

I agree this is BANNER find all day.. :headbang:

Especially because it was found in American soil :thumbsup:

My vote is in

Blaze

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread