New at this...my very first serious find.

mudkicker

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600//Tek-Point Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I am from Pennsylvania and I have been detecting since January and I am throughly hooked. A friend of mine told me about this site, so I thought I would sign up and introduce myself and show you my best find so far.
My friend at work has been detecting for a while now and has several locations in and around Gettysburg that he has obtained permission to hunt.
On Thursday February 23rd, 2012, he took me out to one of his spots that he has hunted many many times so I could try and find a Civil War Era bullet. I had never relic hunted before but wanted to give it a go. Most of my hunts so far have been on public parks, etc. Up until this point my best find was a 1903 IH Penny.
Anyhow, we arrived at this site for a hunt right after work. I ground balanced and walked about 30 feet to where another of our friend was standing. As I walked past him toward a tree I hear the detector signal. I stopped, did the detectorist back pedal and swung around. I was getting a dime signal but it was big. I dug down about 4 or 5 inches and found this.

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

I dont know much about this, but my buddy says because it was dug in Gettysburg its valuable. How valuable, I have no clue. I don't know a whole lot about Civil War relics, but I plan to "beef" up on my knowledge real soon. Its something special to hold something a soldier wore 150 years ago fighting for what they believed in.
That crust down the middle is very hard. Not sure how to get it off. The local guy in town here said to leave it alone, so I probably will.
Oh, and I did get that bullet I initially went looking for. I am told its a Confederate bullet and was fired.

IMAG0073.jpg

Thanks for looking! I hope to have many more personal best finds and hope to spend a lot of time here!

Upvote 0

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, after 32 years in the hobby I have never found one of those, GRATZ. You are assured to have many more great finds.

KLGourley

Apr 14, 2010
Lehigh Acres, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! If only I could find something like that of historical relevance... :notworthy: :notworthy:

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wowser lol I can't wait to find a buckle like that myself :headbang:

OP
OP
M

mudkicker

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words folks. I am very happy to have found something like this so soon in my detecting "career". I hope the luck continues for as long as I do this.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One Helluva find there MK and Welcome to Tnet :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

mudkicker

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome civ......

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
you are fortunate to have a great area to hunt!! congrats on the awesome find!!

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow great way to start metal detecting :)

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many of those buckles have been dug up over the years? I think that crust is awesome, to me it is a unique identity. I would hate to lose any of the character that makes your buckle different from the other dug U.S. buckles I've seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread