Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today was the highlight of my 22 years of detecting. My buddy Dale and I went relic hunting today. We hit a nice cleared site and began finding both union and confederate relics. After awhile I got a signal that hit like a bullet on my Explorer. I was surprised to see a silver coin in my dirt pile. At first I thought I had dug a Spanish silver but after looking more closely I knew I had something very rare. A couple years ago I dug a 1916 D Mercury dime but that doesnt compare to this 1792 Half Disme. Here is a little history of this coin. There were 1500 minted and then Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson took them all to Monticello and then dispersed them into circulation. There are but a few hundred in collections now. This is a day I will never forget nor will ever top. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Marc

Attachments

• HPIM3020d.jpg
    HPIM3020d.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 11,550
Upvote 7

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I am still amazed at your find. Is it possible to get a good picture of the obverse and reverse? Many of us are still waiting to get a good look at such a rare coin.

Thanks!!

Daryl

Capefearsman

Mar 5, 2007
Cape Fear, NC
Detector(s) used
XLT,Double Eagle
BioProfessor said:
I am still amazed at your find. Is it possible to get a good picture of the obverse and reverse? Many of us are still waiting to get a good look at such a rare coin.

Thanks!!
I second that!!
Daryl

Relic_hunter1557

Feb 15, 2007
Ya, can we possibly get a picture of the obverse and reverse sides? I really am curious to see how it aged on the other side.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kind of wierd to think, if you swung further over and found a bar of gold, the gold would be a downer.

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Absolutely fantastic... What an amazing find... I bet you are still on cloud 9...
Thanks for sharing the pics of this amazing coin... ;D ;D ;D

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! What a fantastic find! Cogratulations.

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
WOW that is a find of a lifetime, it will be pretty hard to beat this one...Def a W&E #1 Find!!!
Can I hold her for just on second...haha
Congrats again
Jason

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
totally sweet! and you even live in Va. Gives me hope. If you suddenly start feeling like you're being tailed, you are. :)

Definitely one for the books!

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marc,

Very nice find. Good job. Would you kindly post more PICS? Have you had the coin graded/appraised?

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
OHHH MYYYY , gotta love this hobby. ;D :) ;) >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Burritos Batman, what a sale. Way to go. Not a bad day's pay for a few hours of hunting. Hope you find lots more rarities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread