WHAT PROBE DO YOU USE?

S

salvet66

i use the x-1 probe for my whites. it attaches to your machine and has a switch for coil or probe. never lose this one.its made by sunray, check it out.can pinpoint to 3 inches an when your close it gets louder. worth the $ 149. see if it can be used with your machine.

reiferman

Sep 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Sunray X1 attached to my Explorer II. Wouldn't leave home without it ;D

HH
The Reiferman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUNRAY S-1 SUPERPROBE on my SOVEREIGN, it's my extra "RIGHT HAND"

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I have a Whites pinponter. A little aggravating to hold the button in but it works pretty
good. Makes enough noise and vibration that i can hear and feel it with my head phones on.
I now have three detectors so I like something you can carry around in your pouch. Once you have a pinponter of some type you will have a hard time going detecting with out one.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Salvet66. I also am looking into pinpointers. What kind of Whites do you have that is compatable with the Sunray? I have a Prism IV. I wonder if I could attach one to mine.

O

ol ploock

Sunray x-1 with the explorer and DetectorPro's pocket probe with the Gti 2500

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunray X-1 is what I use

have a Automax Precision V2 pinpointer which works well and is my backup.

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I've had a White's Bullseye pinpointer for a while but today was the first time I ever used it.....I'll never go without it again, saved me time and a lot of digging.

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use the whites bullseye also. but mine came tru with a three way switch . one way it stays on the other way you have to hold it on . forgot it at home once and felt lost all day with out it. i think I'm going to get a sunray for my dfx this spring.

C

Carl in CO

White's Bullseye. It has saved me lots of time and frustration. It's pulled out things like slags that I wouldn't have been able to identify as metal otherwise. It will sense a penny buried usually at about 1/2" and a quarter at about one inch. It sounds off falsely once in while when I'm pushing around down in a hole. I'm not sure why it does that, but it if doesn't repeat or hold the tone I ignore it. I think hand held pinpointers are well worth the money. I give the Bullseye a thumbs up.

T

treaser hunta

I use the vi bra probe 560 you need to get close to the object for it to detect!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
MXT with a Sunray DX-1 probe.? Lots of advantages.? Mounts to the MD rod so you don't have to carry it.? Runs inline with the MXT so you flip a switch and it becomes the coil.? You hear all the same tones through your headphones.? It puts info on the screen that you can read, ie VDI numbers and ID's, and it runs off the batteries in the detector.....Man how did I get by without this thing? ;D~CO2

PS-I should also mention what I don't like about it. I usually run my gain at the preset level. This is too high for the probe so every time I switch it on or off, I have to reset the gain. Also, (and this is not the probes fault), sometimes I get up and walk a couple of hundred feet thinking "man this is some clean ground" before I realize I didn't switch back to my coil! Doy!!! :-\

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004
I use a Whites Bullseye also and NEVER go hunting without it. It saves a LOT of digging. It can pinpoint a coin about 1.5 inches deep. This one is my second one that I've had and if this one wears out, I'll get another one! I think I paid about 80 bucks for mine, but I bet you can find one cheaper if you looked. I bought mine at a local dealer in Seattle.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use good old fashion pin pointing methods! My detector! We used detecors long before there were any pin point probes on the market (and I mean LONG before) and always found our coins/etc. so, why spend 100.00+ on something these marketing pros tell you that you can't be w/o!? I can pin point a dime within a 2 in diam. dig a plug, recover the coin, and be done/on my way in a matter of a min or 2! Why would anyone want/need to buy a probe!? By the time a guy digs, uses a probe, finds the coin, I'll have 2 or 3 more coins in my pocket while he's still playing with that thing! And then it's just one more thing to carry with you in the field, and or to have something go wrong with costing even more $$

D

Darod

I'm hear'in ya Lonewolfe,

But, I can't tell you how many times I've dug a hole to china just to find out the darn coin is stuck to the side wall of my hole at about 3"! It is rather agrivating to say the least. Maybe this sort of thing doesn't happen to you but I can only speak for myself here when I say I NEED one! I use a 120mm bullseye from Whites. It's a nice aid and it doesn't weight anything and it's small enough to just drop in your pocket.

Now, I don't use it on every hole! That would definately be silly and slow you down like you said it would. BUT, if I start to dig deeper than I expected, then I pull that baby out of my pocket and check that hole out. It's saved me time in this manner rather than slowed me down.

By the way Lonewolfe, I used to think EXACTLY like you do on this subject. Until I started to realize "how" I could use one in those "China Holes" :)

Rod

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point! I actually have one that I've never used yet. It came with my MXT package. It's a V-max I believe? It looks too long/bulky for me to carry around though! I'll let my son use it come spring!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread