Spanish silver dug the Summer of 2001 finally makes it into....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish silver dug the Summer of 2001 finally makes it into.... (this post works)

Spanish silver dug the Summer of 2001 finally makes it into Print.

Many who know me here won't recognize this find because I've not talked much about it in the 10 years since I dug it, and even once you see it, it probably still won't make sense because it's the center of a coin and only circulated in my area. Never the less, it is my best coin find to date and I am pretty sure it always will be, because even a coin that had several times the value probably wouldn't mean as much to me.... but I reserve the right to change my mind on that one. :)

My Dump/Plug/center is one of about 12 known, and is considered a merchant copy. There are about 79 known rings.

Upon his arrival in P.E.I. in 1813, Charles Douglass Smith, the island's newly appointed lieutenant-governor, discovered that there was a serious shortage of circulating coin. Although Spanish coins, mainly the dollars or 8-reale pieces, occasionally found their way to the island in trade, they rarely remained in circulation because they were used to pay for imported goods. In an effort to alleviate this situation, Smith issued a proclamation in 1813 stating, in part: "It is also ordered that Spanish Dollars, limited to the amount of One Thousand, shall be cut at the Treasury, by having a circular piece taken out of the centre of each - the Collars so cut, are to be issued from and received at the Treasury at the rate of Five Shillings Currency each, and the piece so taken out to be issued from and received at the Treasury, at one shilling currency each. " Thus each Spanish dollar provided two silver coins - the outer ring or 'holey dollar' and the centre disc or 'plug' - with a combined total value of six shillings. Since the unmutilated Spanish dollar was valued at only five shillings, it was hoped that by overrating the holey dollar and plugs these pieces would remain in circulation on the island.

However, owing to a large number of fraudulent imitations, probably made by the local merchants, the official issue was recalled and, after 28 September 1814, even genuine issue were no longer exchangeable at the colonial Treasury. However, the unredeemed holey dollars, as well as the merchants' forgeries, continued to circulate for many years. Although records describing any official markings do not seem to have survived, the holey dollars and plugs appear to have been counterstamped with a ring consisting of ten triangles forming a kind of star or sunburst. On the holey dollar this pattern can be seen overlapping the Spanish king's forehead.

The Holey Dollars and Dumps of Prince Edward Island by Christopher Faulkner

http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/ane/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=9532#null

Interview with the author.

http://www.cbc.ca/islandmorning/epis...hris-faulkner/

Attachments

• HoleyDollarBook.jpg
    HoleyDollarBook.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 148
  • plug1.jpg
    plug1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 161
  • plug2.jpg
    plug2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone erase my other two posts that got messed up. I'm guessing the word "print" in the subject line did it?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
IP, Now that is COOL,oh how I think about finding an 8 Reale someday. You surely go to wits ends to track things down! God Bless Chris

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP, Now that is COOL,oh how I think about finding an 8 Reale someday. You surely go to wits ends to track things down! God Bless Chris

I have found an 8 reale, but the center wasn't punched out! :)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
IP, the historical and educational values, in addition to the rarity of that 'plug' (disregarding its monetary value for the moment) leads to only one conclusion: BANNER
Whether you found it today or yesterday would not change my vote.
Don.......

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP, the historical and educational values, in addition to the rarity of that 'plug' (disregarding its monetary value for the moment) leads to only one conclusion: BANNER
Whether you found it today or yesterday would not change my vote.
Don.......

Thanks Don, but I'm not too worried about the banner. It was dug quite a few years before I even joined this site, which is a little scary because it seems like I've been here forever. Back in 2001 I had a phone call asking do a radio interview about it.... but I turned it down. I still don't know exactly how that came about for someone to get my number and call me.

JanThorCro

Aug 29, 2012
The Land of Captain Crunch
Detector(s) used
DFX

Starting to understand the machine. :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP, that's quite the find.

A governor modified Spanish Reale. I had no use for history in High School but all this stuff is very interesting to me.

Thanks for sharing your story.

:occasion14:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In the same year as the PEI holey dollar recall (1814), Australia issued their own holey dollar, then recalled them in 1822. About 350 Australian holey dollars and 1,500 plugs remain in collections. It was certainly a novel way to increase the value of the coin and to keep the coins within the country.
Don.....

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the same year as the PEI holey dollar recall (1814), Australia issued their own holey dollar, then recalled them in 1822. About 350 Australian holey dollars and 1,500 plugs remain in collections. It was certainly a novel way to increase the value of the coin and to keep the coins within the country.
Don.....

I only wish our coins had the same value. Hopefully this book will give them a little bump, but it will probably never matter to me because I don't plan to sell. It would have to be worth a whole lot more than it is for me to move it.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope not seen this one & it's cool you have found out so much & have people there who care about such.I've tried with somethings I've found over time that I know are quite rare but can't hit the right ones to take a interest.So I do my own as much as possible.Like the story & colonial items always have a place in my soul.:headbang:
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find for sure, it is so rare to find one, they have some value, paint me green with envy.:occasion14:

unclefester

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2012
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro / Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wished all my holed coins looked that good :icon_jokercolor: A great (plug) find indeed :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread