Best finds from first year of detecting!!! PT1

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes yes yes I know I've been promising pictures for awhile, but its hard when you don't have a digital camera. So everyone thank the most wonderful woman in the world for letting me borrow hers. Alright, lets get down to the nitty gritty. It'll have been one year next week since I first began detecting and today I bring to you the best of what I have found. Now don't get your hopes up, nothing phenomenal, a few nice coins that would go for 80-100 bucks if graded but nothing earth shattering. But none the less they are finds and ones I am proud of at that. I live up here in upstate NY right outside of a city called Binghamton and all of the places
I've gotten out to have been old farm land/homesteads and a little time on the old chenango canal so these areas have alot of garbage and old rusted cans so its been difficult detecting but I'm starting to get the hang of it. The first picture I would like to post is of my best haul. An old abandoned elementary school gave this up and to tell you the truth I was expecting a little more but we take what we can find right?

000_3666.jpg

Total- 12 quarters 4 nickles 20 dimes and 45 pennies for a grand total of $5.65 and 81 coins.

Now that might not seem like alot to the seasoned searcher but I tell you what most days I'm bringing back a buck or two in clad and thats it. And with 80+ holes that consumes alot of time. Most were at a depth of at least 4 inches. Absolutely none on the surface.

Well now that we have the norm out of the way we move to the unique. I hit up this old celler hole that has been abandoned since the 40's and pulled a ton of garbage from in the hole and nothing worth keeping, not even any semi decent relics. So I moved from in the hole to outside with much better results. At first nothing, not a signal for about 20 min but then I pulled these few item out of the ground. And not one piece of garbage for the rest of the hunt!

000_3668.jpg

A few cardboard shotgun shells, a tin soldier (and Nixon coming) , and a nice little 1883 Indian head cent ( a first for me) Not a bad day, finally broke into the 1800's.

Now keep in mind this was probably my 12th hunt or so, many failed attempts before. I actually believe that the hunt before this one I came back home with 2 pennies and a marble I found laying on the ground. By this point in time I learned the value of research......

So yes quickly, I love the relics as well as the coinage as well as the jewels so heres my homage to dug silverware...

000_3679.jpg

Next is the Jewelry, not too much to report on a few gold and a few silver, a bunch of costume ( not photographed, but yes always a treat...

000_3675.jpg

3 silver rings and a sterling earring back annnnd my favorite......

000_3673.jpg

000_3674.jpg

GOLD!!! V for VICTORY!!!! The class ring found in the woods behind my mothers house and the little heart was found in the wood chips at a local park ( I do need to get back there soon ) But thats it for the gold this year, i predict next year will be much better.

And how could I forget the religious pieces as well....

000_3677.jpg

And finally something I found really neat, someone dog tag from WWII, found along the canal tow path....

000_3678.jpg

Stay tuned for part 2, will be up in an hour or so with the fun stuff (coins) and my BEST find this year!!!!!!

Upvote 0

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice man :)

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best finds from first year of detecting!!! PT2

OOOOK, that seemed to work ( first time posting pictures I was alittle worried). Alrighty heres part 2. COINS! I'm only going to put the really nice ones up, found a few v nickles but they look pretty haggard and thats what this forum is all about right? showing off the goodies.

Soo first off dollar coins, 2 beautiful morgan heads i pulled out of a celler hole a few miles from here, they were in an old leather change purse and are in awesome shape, so I must boast!

000_3684.jpg

1883 and 1885

Next is the half dollars, all were pulled from a farm house out in the middle of nowhere, three of which were from the same year. I did clean some of them but decided to not clean the rest...

000_3681.jpg
000_3682.jpg
000_3683.jpg

1939-d (3)
1941-s

Next is the quarter dollars also pulled from the same farm house...

000_3687.jpg
000_3688.jpg

19??-s

Dimes pulled from various locations.....

000_3686.jpg

My first non-modern coin ( had to post, it was a milestone after searching for over a month and not finding anything older than 30 years) a 1909 wheat penny

000_3689.jpg

Some neat local tokens I've found....

000_3693.jpg

ANNND finally, in my opinion my best find this year.........

000_3692.jpg

An 1830 half-dime, the picture doesn't really do it any justice. She was laying about 8 inches down under a rock wall I was detecting around on some old farm land. At first I thought it was some little token or something fake becuase i had never seen one before but once I saw the united states of america I about dropped it.

Well, thats about it on my end. I hope everyone enjoys the pictures, took me about 2 hours now to get all of them taken, resized and posted up here so any feedback would be nice. Other than that its about nap time here here everyone have a great weekend and happy hunting.....

-The Dude-

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome finds......You got all the right spots

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
awesome stuff! i think your dog tag is from a different, earlier war though. WW1 maybe? ;)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

Is that a 1830 half dime. It looks to be in awesome condition. Looks like you've found some nice locations to hunt.

HH Jer

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
skalleewag. Post your finds on your own posts already. It isn't hard. And it gets kinda annoying to tell you the truth.... :-\

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhh the nails, lol, people complain of pulltabs but the old properties up here are mostly full of the old square head nails. Yuck! And thanks for the comments everyone, i've been detecting my butt off, next year looks promising. BobbyS and I need to hook up sometime becuase he only lives maybe 20 min away, so we will see. Anyone else in the southern tier of new york or nothern pa should definatly come along, got a good spot north of here that has been gaurenteed undetected. My buddy just bought the property (1855) along the chenango canal and the owner before him has never let anyone detect there, and i could definatly use some help covering all three acres along the canal. Did i mention it has an old docking station as well??? Oh well dinner time, good luck and happy hunting.

-Scruff-

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
whats with the out of focus shots, i didnt think it was to hard to take a good photo especially with a digital camera.

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thats quite rude man. I didn't think it was too hard to show manners but i guess i was wrong. And its not the best camera, no zoom so it doesn't focus on anything if its within a foot or so....

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
ur kidding right, how can u be offended by that, its a pretty simple question. so its a digital camera with no zoom, it must be pretty old.

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My appologies, I think this might be a bit of culture shock. Slight differences in dialect can make a difference when your from opposite sides of the world. Here in New York a majority of folks are rude and make many pointless comments and that is what we are use to up here. As a result we guard ourselves for these kinds of people. So you saying that it isn't that difficult to take a decent picture with a digital camera might be just a simple comment on your part, but coming out of the mouth of some of the people around here, it would just be a sarcastic jackleg remark. I think this is a good lesson learned on my part to be more cautioned and think more worldly. One again sorry, and thanks for checking out my post. Oh by the way it is a very old camera. 2.5 MP no zoom, but its better than nothing i guess. Take care and happy hunting.....

-Idiot-

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
ok man no worries, i heard that about new yorkers somewhere, ive been to minesota and around there but nowhere else and the people are really nice there.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Some really wonderful digs,I really like that Masons token,count make out the dates and the half dime is my favorite coin. Dont sweat the pictures,look pretty good to me,I have a 3.2 mp with zoom and still cant take a picture for crap,I think its my lighting isnt adequate but Im working on it. Sounds like you really have some great spots,maybe you will throw together a Tnet hunt someday I would love to drive out if I knew I could hunt a good spot for a couple of days, HH...Shoot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread